• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cook county, il small claims limits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akiravalor

What is the name of your state? il
I need to recover $2059.75 from a business in Chicago, IL that i did freelance work for. I have found conflicting info on the the small claims court limit in cook county. Some sources list $1500 while others list $2500.

Also, if I am seeking court fees and interest, does that factor into the limit amount.

If the limit is $1500, the money I am hoping to recover was requested on two invoices, one for 1790.25 and another for $249.50. Could and should I file two separate complaints?

Is small claims court and Pro Se court synonmous?

Happy Trails

akiravalor said:
What is the name of your state? il
I need to recover $2059.75 from a business in Chicago, IL that i did freelance work for. I have found conflicting info on the the small claims court limit in cook county. Some sources list $1500 while others list $2500.

Also, if I am seeking court fees and interest, does that factor into the limit amount.

If the limit is $1500, the money I am hoping to recover was requested on two invoices, one for 1790.25 and another for $249.50. Could and should I file two separate complaints?

Is small claims court and Pro Se court synonmous?
I am coming up with $10,000 limit from this site: http://www.ag.state.il.us/consumers/smlclaims.html

racer72

The limit in Illinois is $10,000. Even if it was lower, you cannot sue for the same thing twice for the same debt. But that is not an issue.

Happy Trails

Illinois raised the limit from $5000 to $10,000; it became effective Jan. 1, 2006.

EDIT: Didn't see Racer's response.
I just wanted to verify that it had increased, although I expected that the Attorney General's site woud be accurate

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">