• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Corp represention needed at all times?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DemoSTL

What is the name of your state? MO
For a small Corporation, does legal represention have to be used throught the court system(s) all the time, in the state of MO?

Recently, I had a Plaintiff's attorney say I had to have "legal representation" for a case, which was small claims, and we didn't do the damage they are claiming. Can we not represent the Company ourselves?

JETX

DemoSTL said:
What is the name of your state? MO
For a small Corporation, does legal represention have to be used throught the court system(s) all the time, in the state of MO?
I think someone gave you incorrect 'advice'. The following is from the Missouri Bar:
"Who Can You Sue And What You Can Sue For

Any person or business with a civil claim that does not exceed $3,000.00 may bring a suit in small claims court. The $3,000.00 limit does not include court costs and interest on the $3,000.00 which the judge may award you. You may still file a claim if the amount exceeds $3,000.00. However, if you choose to do this, you give up your right to claim any amount exceeding $3,000.00 both in your present suit and in any other claim involving the same person or business and the same issues. "

Small Claims Court parties are not required to use an attorney, and the judge will help them present their cases by asking relevant questions. However, the parties are entitled to be represented by an attorney if desired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">