• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cosigning on a car Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlserna

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? colorado
My brother came to me six months ago asking for me to cosign on a vehicle. They got the car a week prior to asking me. My sister inlaw lost her job the same week so,the dealership asked them to bring the car back or get a cosigner. They asked me to cosign.

The car dealership and my brother assured me that after six months I could get off the cosign if my sister inlaw got a job and six months of payments on time. They would accomplish this by refinancing the loan.

Needless to say one week after I cosigned my brother was laid off. I called the bank that gave the loan and car dealership and could not get out of being on this loan. They have also been lazy about looking for jobs also.

My brother got his job back but, my siser inlaw hasnt even tried to get a job!

By the grace of god they were able to this point make the payments by stealing from peter to pay paul. My sister inlaw still doesnt have a job and is no longer getting unemployment. I cant afford this car my husband and I are paying for two cars ,our house,college, and three teenage kids. I worked many years to have clean credit ..I dont need a repo on my credit or late payments. They did not hold up their part of the agreement

What choice do I have in this matter legally? Can I take them to court to get off of this loan? what would you do?

CourtClerk

The finance company is under no obligation to let you out of the committment you made freely and legally. Because I don't wanna anymore is not a legal reason for a court to intervene.

What would I do? I never cosign for anyone for anything.

FlyingRon

Cosigning isn't some character reference, it's saying don't worry about the primary borrower's lousy credit, I'll take care of it if he doesn't. The fact that he's not certainly isn't going to get you released.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">