• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I win?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

viper_1986_1986

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Teaxs

So at my job we had some scrap metal, the bossman was going to rent a dumpster to get rid of it all. My co-worker had the idea we could take it to a metal shop and get some money out of the deal. He had no vehical so i offered to help out and we could "split" the money.

1st load -- We only made 50$. We both did the same amount of work loading and unloading. He took 30$ and me 20$. Whatever...
I am not even going to count this one in the story.

2nd load -- We made 72.10$. He did about 3/4 of the loading and we both did the same work unloading. He kept all the money claiming that for the next load we could balence it all out.

3rd load -- 142.69$! The work was a bit odd on this one, I stripped copper wiring out for about an hour while he loaded up my car. We both unloaded the same. He gave me 50$ saying that it was "fair".

His claim for this he did "more work" and i was "helping him" that i doing it for just "some" money. Sadly when i did this i clocked out during OVERTIME! Meaning i really LOST money in this whole deal.

The bad thing is with both of these after unloading i had to move my vehical, and he gave them his name and ID card. So everything is in HIS name and not mine.

So for about 210$ I made 50$. I am getting jipped. He is claiming now that in 2 weeks he will pay me another 20$. I am not even asking for 50/50 i am willing to settle for 40/60. He will not pay me the extra 20$ AND 10$ that i want.

My boss does not want to get involved too, as we were off the clocking during this because of legal issues. But he does agree 50/50 would be fair, not even 40/60 like i am requesting.

I would now like to sue him for 50/50, and the damage to my car. ALl i really want is the 20$ he claims he will give and another 10$ but he says no way. So if i sue i also want to for the damage to my car.

Any chance i could win this with his name on the receipts?

viper_1986_1986

You are saying that based on the fact that the money is all in HIS name?

What if i have an audio recording of him agreeing to "split" the money with me? No amount was said but he said the word split.

seniorjudge

You are saying that based on the fact that the money is all in HIS name?

What if i have an audio recording of him agreeing to "split" the money with me? No amount was said but he said the word split.
Sue the bad person in small claims court.

We have no way of knowing who will win.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Awwww, SJ - you know that OP's don't like that answer. They want a DEFINITE answer

viper_1986_1986

Well its easy to see there is no definite answer.

I was just wondering if the fact it was in his name would be an auto loss for me.

If there is a chance, and from my little understand, that there is a small chance that the fact that it is in HIS name he owes me nothing since we had no official agreement of how the money was to be split.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">