• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

counter suing in small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nc212

What is the name of your state? California

One of my former roomates and ex-girlfriend recently sued me claiming that she lent me $550 for a apartment that we lived in together.
In a different situation she was on the lease for the house that we were living in currently and moved out 5 days before rent was due. Leaving me and my roomate to cover her portion of the rent as well as utilities. The amount owed to me was around $400 and to my roomate was around $450. We weren't going to pursue any action against her but she served me papers claiming I owed her $550. My question is we are know going to counter sue her but I am named in the original suit as the defendant and she is the plantiff, can my other roomate be added to the case as defendant #2 to recover the money that had to pay to cover her moving out and breaking her contract lease?

JETX

can my other roomate be added to the case as defendant #2 to recover the money that had to pay to cover her moving out and breaking her contract lease?
No. He will have to file an individual suit against her. However, he could ask the court to set both for the same date/time to be heard together.

BL

No. He will have to file an individual suit against her. However, he could ask the court to set both for the same date/time to be heard together.
Ha Ha Ha who says it was a he/she ?? :eek: Happy holidays ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">