• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Couple Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zervic

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

There's a lot to be said and I don't know exactly where to start, so I guess I'll start by saying that I've accumulated a debt with my step father and biological mother and they are threatening to take me to court (small claims). I owe them approximately $3,200...this is from a wide range of things from them fixing THEIR car that I was driving to half of my college tuition to past phone bills and car insurance.

Now, the only way to be able to comprehend the situation is if you have lived it. My step father is abusive, which is why I refuse to support him money wise. At the time of the expenses (such as the car getting fixed and my tuition) I did not sign any contracts that said I would pay this back. However, months later I was confronted with a spread sheet that had every single little expense I have had in the past couple years, and was forced (other wise i'd be kicked out on the street) to sign a contract that said I would pay so much each week and also had a couple of other bullets that said such things as - if you cannot make payments, we have every right to confiscate anything that is yours as payment. This contract was never notorized. Eventually I was kicked out onto the streets and left with NOTHING. The few things I have my brother smuggled me. After a month on the streets, I found myself a place for $875/month + electricity. I am currently sleeping on the floor with no bed and next to no food. My father (for 9 years) payed $280 a month for child support, needless to say I saw next to nothing of this. Everything (speaking of food) that I ate in the house, I was scolded for because "it wasn't for me." I went months without shampoo and body wash. Anyways, enough of the ranting of irrelevant information.

My questions are':
- If my step-father goes ahead and files a suit against me, does it have to be approved?
- What are the chances of it being approved?
- What are the most likely outcomes (givin the information (and loads more) that I provided to you) of the case?
- Can you give me any advice?

If you need to know any other information, feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

racer72

If my step-father goes ahead and files a suit against me, does it have to be approved?
What do you mean by approved? Anyone can file a lawsuit for just about any reason, it is up to the court whether the lawsuit has merit. No approval required.

- What are the chances of it being approved?
0 to 100%

What are the most likely outcomes (givin the information (and loads more) that I provided to you) of the case?
The Free Advice Magic 8 ball is on the blink again. Google "magic 8 ball" and visit one of the sites, the answer there will be as good as any you will get from here.

- Can you give me any advice?
Talking to a local attorney would be a good first step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">