• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

coupon value...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nustang70

What is the name of your state? CA

hi. i work at a video store. we were instructed to throw away some free rental coupons, so, since they were designated as garbage, i took some home and sold them on ebay. the company found out and told me i owe them the for the value of all the free rentals, totaling over $10,000 they say. but, the coupons clearly say on the disclaimer at the bottom of each coupon that each coupon has a cash value of 1/100th of a penny. i can defend myself and argue that, if compelled to reimburse the company for the cash value (less than a dollar). also, they say i owe them $10,000, but i only made about $800.00. i did offer to pay them back the money i made from the sale, but they still said they want the whole $10,000. what can i do?

thanks...

moburkes

nustang70 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

hi. i work at a video store. we were instructed to throw away some free rental coupons, so, since they were designated as garbage, i took some home and sold them on ebay. the company found out and told me i owe them the for the value of all the free rentals, totaling over $10,000 they say. but, the coupons clearly say on the disclaimer at the bottom of each coupon that each coupon has a cash value of 1/100th of a penny. i can defend myself and argue that, if compelled to reimburse the company for the cash value (less than a dollar). also, they say i owe them $10,000, but i only made about $800.00. i did offer to pay them back the money i made from the sale, but they still said they want the whole $10,000. what can i do?

thanks...
What does the rest of the disclaimer say on the bottom of the coupons? Something about not transferable, maybe? Please write out what the coupon says.

nustang70

the disclaimer reads:

good for all movies and games. limit one coupon per account, per visit. membership terms and conditions apply. cash value is 1/100th cent. this coupon must be redeemed and may not be reprinted, reproduced, sold or transferred.

moburkes

nustang70 said:
good for all movies and games. limit one coupon per account, per visit. membership terms and conditions apply. cash value is 1/100th cent. this coupon must be redeemed and may not be reprinted, reproduced, sold or transferred.
Out of curiosity, what part of that didn't you understand?

nustang70

i understood it. i figured it was just a company policy though, not something illegal. i thought selling the coupons would, at the worst, render them void. can you please give me some advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">