• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court hearing - company offered out-of-court settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MaverickUK

Hi guys,

I am hoping someone can help me with a dilemma i have. Basically i have taken a company by the name of Skillstrain, to court for misrepresentation of a course which they sold to me on a number of misrepresentations, and importantly they used logos and stuff on their coursework they provided to me that they were not allowed to use.

Anyway, 6 years later and they have finally offered me a full refund. However on the same day of them calling me and confirming they will send a cheque tomorrow and wanting to know if i'm interested in the offer, i received a letter from the Courts stating that the defendant has until the 24th of May to file their defence, otherwise the claim will be found in my favour and they will a) have to pay the interest that i stated in my claim (8% per year for 6 years, which equates to over £1,500 or so) and b) have to reimburse court fees.

The defendant has offered to pay me £2,400 (i don't have the figure in writing yet, so it may well be lower) without going to court, however if i do decide to wait and go to court, they will have to pay £2,400 plus the £1,500-ish in interest.

That's a lot of money and hopefully you can see what my dilemma is; either accept their full refund (which doesn't include time i've lost, interest or court fees) or wait until the 24th and have the Courts settle the matter and potentially gain an extra £1,500. The part i'm worried about is if they file their defence before the 24th and they somehow manage to win their case in Court, leaving me with zilch.

It's worth noting that tens of students have received fulls refunds on the same basis that i'm claiming, both through the Courts, of out court settlements, the Financial Obudsmen Service and through their local Trading Standards.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you very much, Nick.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi guys,

I am hoping someone can help me with a dilemma i have. Basically i have taken a company by the name of Skillstrain, to court for misrepresentation of a course which they sold to me on a number of misrepresentations, and importantly they used logos and stuff on their coursework they provided to me that they were not allowed to use.

Anyway, 6 years later and they have finally offered me a full refund. However on the same day of them calling me and confirming they will send a cheque tomorrow and wanting to know if i'm interested in the offer, i received a letter from the Courts stating that the defendant has until the 24th of May to file their defence, otherwise the claim will be found in my favour and they will a) have to pay the interest that i stated in my claim (8% per year for 6 years, which equates to over £1,500 or so) and b) have to reimburse court fees.

The defendant has offered to pay me £2,400 (i don't have the figure in writing yet, so it may well be lower) without going to court, however if i do decide to wait and go to court, they will have to pay £2,400 plus the £1,500-ish in interest.

That's a lot of money and hopefully you can see what my dilemma is; either accept their full refund (which doesn't include time i've lost, interest or court fees) or wait until the 24th and have the Courts settle the matter and potentially gain an extra £1,500. The part i'm worried about is if they file their defence before the 24th and they somehow manage to win their case in Court, leaving me with zilch.

It's worth noting that tens of students have received fulls refunds on the same basis that i'm claiming, both through the Courts, of out court settlements, the Financial Obudsmen Service and through their local Trading Standards.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you very much, Nick.
What does that funny looking L mean?

(This forum is for US law only - sorry)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">