• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court or Settle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crazymom

What is the name of your state? CA

I have filled a small claims suit against Walmart due to damage to my credit. 18 months ago, I paid off my credit card and they never credited my account. I tried numerous times sending copies of the cancelled check, writing to Attorney General's Office, joining Pre-Paid Legal, and lots of phone calls and letters. Debt collections for Walmart called every 2 weeks and I had to re-explain my situtation. My lawyer from Pre-Paid Legal wrote Walmart a letter and we received no response. So she advised my to go to small claims court and file for $5000 for damage to my credit. Meanwhile, my husband and I try to apply for a home-equity line. Our funding is delayed several weeks after I have to send the lender a copy of the cancelled check and write a letter explaining the negative remarks on my credit due to this Walmart situation. After I filed my suit (Oct 2003), a lawyer for the other side called to offer a settlement to fix my credit only. I wanted money, so when we tried to counter offer for $2500, Walmart came back with $500. I told them I'd see them in court. 7 days later, after both my husband and I took time off work, found daycare for my 2 small children, we showed up in court only to be told by the judge that Walmart had requested a continuence and needed more time to get someone out here. So here it is one week away from my second court date and Walmart is still offering $500 (a credit on my "new" Walmart Credit Card!) and to clear my credit! Do I take my chances next week with the judge, or settle for next to nothing and lick my wounds?

BL

No go to court request an amount of $1,000.00 for their knowingly & willfully reporting inaccurate information to the credit bureaus .( FCRA ) Fair Credit Reporting Act , 15 U.S.C.n 1681s-2 S 623 responsibilities of furnishers of information to consumer reporting agencies.

Also,for attorney fees and any damages caused by their inaccurate report.

Personally I would request the max. amount you can sue for in small claims.

They are trying to get off cheap and lure you into another CC. Don't fall for it .

I was offer the same thing once. Although I didn't sue, the report was removed, and of course the good credit history gone.

After Court , you can send the CRA a letter to add to your reports, that you had GOOD credit Standing until this Co. illegally ruined it .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">