• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court summons for unpaid medical bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmc1089

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I received a summons on 7/30/14 to appear in court on 8/1/14 due to an unpaid medical bill. It includes the $2,823.38 medical bill as well as $597.01 for their attorney, and any court costs. I am being taken to court by the hospital rather than a debt collector. I am currently unemployed and haven't set up any kind of monthly payments and I assume that this is why they have taken this legal route. I'm also currently uninsured and was also at the time of treatment. I just spoke with an attorney today but was unable to come up with the $500 to hire him. I met him at 3pm and their office closed at 4pm. There were no options as far as getting money from anyone within the limited time frame. I mentioned to him that my services included them checking my vitals and offering two meals. I spent 10 hours in a room, spoke with a doctor (bill for this was separate) and to a representative for a local agency that helps people suffering from depression as well as other things. Even without insurance he said that the bill seemed to be too high for the services provided and mentioned request for discovery to find out more about individual costs that make up the bill. That's about as much as I got from him, but he did claim that if hired could eliminate the costs of their attorney and bring down the cost of the bill without me even needing to be there. Well, now I'm here, way in over my head, and I have no idea what I should expect this Monday and would highly appreciate any advice, do's/don'ts, etc. Feel free to ask any questions related to this case. Thanks in advance.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I received a summons on 7/30/14 to appear in court on 8/1/14 due to an unpaid medical bill. It includes the $2,823.38 medical bill as well as $597.01 for their attorney, and any court costs. I am being taken to court by the hospital rather than a debt collector. I am currently unemployed and haven't set up any kind of monthly payments and I assume that this is why they have taken this legal route. I'm also currently uninsured and was also at the time of treatment. I just spoke with an attorney today but was unable to come up with the $500 to hire him. I met him at 3pm and their office closed at 4pm. There were no options as far as getting money from anyone within the limited time frame. I mentioned to him that my services included them checking my vitals and offering two meals. I spent 10 hours in a room, spoke with a doctor (bill for this was separate) and to a representative for a local agency that helps people suffering from depression as well as other things. Even without insurance he said that the bill seemed to be too high for the services provided and mentioned request for discovery to find out more about individual costs that make up the bill. That's about as much as I got from him, but he did claim that if hired could eliminate the costs of their attorney and bring down the cost of the bill without me even needing to be there. Well, now I'm here, way in over my head, and I have no idea what I should expect this Monday and would highly appreciate any advice, do's/don'ts, etc. Feel free to ask any questions related to this case. Thanks in advance.
Are you a senior or disabled, by any chance?

quincy

No, I'm 25 and not disabled.
Okay. Well, it is nice to be 25 and not disabled, but you are going to have a harder time finding free legal assistance. I am puzzled by the dates you mentioned, as well. Today is August 1.

cmc1089

Unfortunately, it's not a typo. It was very short notice but I noticed on the paper that the officer has to deliver no less than three days before the day of appearance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">