• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cracked glass door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

squallnoctis

It was night, and I accidentally walked into a restaurant glass door and now they want me to pay to repair the door. The problem is that there's no proper warning on the glass door; it's a clear door with no sign, no nothing. Is there a way to post pictures in this forum? Anyway, what do you think? Am I still liable for cracking the door despite the fact that it was a clear door with no proper warning.

OHRoadwarrior

It is probably safe to assume other people do not walk into it and break it. I would say you are certainly liable for the damage you caused.

LdiJ

It is probably safe to assume other people do not walk into it and break it. I would say you are certainly liable for the damage you caused.
That is not necessarily accurate. It would depend on a lot of information that we don't currently have.

Banned_Princess

I guess I am. the better assumption is she was drinking. lol. I think she probably owes for the door, but without the photo its hard to say if the establishment has any responsibility. I cant immagine the door was invisable. Glass is easy to miss, but not invisable. Also, not sure there is a requirement that doors have signs on them. a good idea, yes, but required? I dont know... Sorry about the spelling, Im using a primitive phone.

squallnoctis

No I was not drinking. In fact, I don't drink alcohol. It was a door in. Usually, these restaurants have 2 doors, and I thought the first one was opened. The door was a transparent door with no markings. I actually found a New York Law that states that transparent glass doors has to have proper warnings and markings:

PART 47 TRANSPARENT GLASS DOORS
TRANSPARENT GLASS DOORS IN MERCANTILE ESTABLISHMENTS AND IN PUBLIC AND COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES

(Statutory authority: Labor Law, §§27-a, 27, 29, 241-b)

I posted pictures and link to the law, but that is awaiting moderator approval.

OHRoadwarrior

http://labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/safetyhealth/sh47.shtm

We have no way to determine whether it was in compliance or met an exception.

OHRoadwarrior

You really could not tell that was a closed glass door!!!??? The frame and door handles were not a dead giveaway? It does appear you have a valid marking argument though.

Last edited:

squallnoctis

The frames, no. They're rather thin frames. As for the door handle, I was walking with a friend, and he was on the right of me, and I was just looking straight ahead. Regardless, the referenced law was made with the assumption that doors have handles no? As I said, I doubt I'm the first person to accidentally walk into a glass door.

Banned_Princess

The frames, no. They're rather thin frames. As for the door handle, I was walking with a friend, and he was on the right of me, and I was just looking straight ahead. Regardless, the referenced law was made with the assumption that doors have handles no? As I said, I doubt I'm the first person to accidentally walk into a glass door.
no you are not. its usually hil arious. lol.

OHRoadwarrior

I am not arguing the fact you appear to have a valid argument. I just think you were negligent. That does not always translate into guilty. Everyone sooner or later has a blonde moment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">