• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist buyer threatening small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adustyhobo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? rhode island

Hi so heres the background, on monday i traded my apple watch for a macbook pro. We met at a dunkin donuts publicly and did the exchange. the title of my ad was "42mm apple watch with stainless steel band"-- For those who don't know much about apple watch theirs a stainless steel version and aluminum, this is in terms of the body, not the watch band. The sport edition, which i had, is the aluminum body. Now i never said once in my ad i had the stainless steel apple watch, i said i only have an apple watch with a stainless steel band, which i bought separately for it. Today this guy texts me and says why did i give him a sport apple watch that has a cheap 3rd party band instead of a stainless steel one and i said i never said it was the stainless steel model. He says he wants me to pay the difference between the sport and stainless steel model and i said no, so now he says he bringing me to small claims court.

He saw the pictures in the ad as well as examined the watch for 15 minutes in person before trading, the pictures even show on the watch that its a sport edition and they look different when you compare the sport and stainless steel model.

he doesn't know my name, or where i live. I texted him with a texting app that uses wifi and i don't have the number anymore even but i did send an email with yahoo to him.

Its this guys fault for not knowing what he was buying, i didn't lie in the ad or to him at all. Does he have anything on me even, if he does file a complaint can he even find out who i am?

Proserpina

Hi so heres the background, on monday i traded my apple watch for a macbook pro. We met at a dunkin donuts publicly and did the exchange. the title of my ad was "42mm apple watch with stainless steel band"-- For those who don't know much about apple watch theirs a stainless steel version and aluminum, this is in terms of the body, not the watch band. The sport edition, which i had, is the aluminum body. Now i never said once in my ad i had the stainless steel apple watch, i said i only have an apple watch with a stainless steel band, which i bought separately for it. Today this guy texts me and says why did i give him a sport apple watch that has a cheap 3rd party band instead of a stainless steel one and i said i never said it was the stainless steel model. He says he wants me to pay the difference between the sport and stainless steel model and i said no, so now he says he bringing me to small claims court.

He saw the pictures in the ad as well as examined the watch for 15 minutes in person before trading, the pictures even show on the watch that its a sport edition and they look different when you compare the sport and stainless steel model.

he doesn't know my name, or where i live. I texted him with a texting app that uses wifi and i don't have the number anymore even but i did send an email with yahoo to him.

Its this guys fault for not knowing what he was buying, i didn't lie in the ad or to him at all. Does he have anything on me even, if he does file a complaint can he even find out who i am?

He has nothing, even if you kinda-sorta indicated something was maybe-but-maybe-not something else. He is free to enjoy his watch.

It is highly unlikely this guy will file a small claims against you, so don't even worry about it. If he did, he doesn't have much of a case because he agreed to the trade after inspecting the watch for 15 minutes. The fact he doesn't have a case, plus, he would probably spend some serious time finding you, means he'd probably give up on his small claims ideas.

adjusterjack

As others have suggested, he's blowing smoke.

I strongly suggest that now is the time to stop communicating with him. Ignore his texts, block his number, do not respond to anything. If he happens to get you on the phone somehow just say "no comment" and hang up. Keep doing that until he goes away. The more you let him engage you the more likely he'll be able to wear you down until you do something foolish.

quincy

It can be difficult for the average person to tell aluminum from stainless steel, especially in pictures or on a quick inspection.

Was the trade of your Apple watch for the MacBook Pro based on a price that would indicate that more than the band on the Apple watch was stainless steel (i.e., could it be considered a fair trade)?

WAS the band on the watch you sold actually stainless steel?

Proserpina touched on the fact that your ad could potentially be seen as deceptive even if not exactly untrue.

That said, and like the others, I do not see that the purchaser is likely to take the time or go to the trouble and expense of suing you, this despite the fact that I see some arguments he could make that could potentially support such an action. As a general rule, used goods are understood to be as-is sales, buyer beware.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">