• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist cell phone scam...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ATrain

(Indiana): I bought a cell phone from a person off craigslist, met him at his house (he claimed he lived there, then later denied it), and paid $300 cash. He told me it was unlocked and ready for use and I took it and drove off. After talking to Verizon many times, they said the phone couldn't be used because of the past balance and they couldn't help me.

The phone he used to text/call me was a google voice number, which is a forwarding number that forwards to another phone number. I reverse looked up the address to find a name and phone number of a person who lives there. They're not helpful. It's either the parent of the person, or the person's friend's parent. He's given me the run around basically, even after telling me he would give me my money back.

I don't know his name. Do I have any recourse? Can I subpoena his name/number somehow? I had planned on trying to take the parent who lived at the house to small claims and say that her son had sold me a product under a lie and that I thought it was under her name.

Antigone*

(Indiana): I bought a cell phone from a person off craigslist, met him at his house (he claimed he lived there, then later denied it), and paid $300 cash. He told me it was unlocked and ready for use and I took it and drove off. After talking to Verizon many times, they said the phone couldn't be used because of the past balance and they couldn't help me.

The phone he used to text/call me was a google voice number, which is a forwarding number that forwards to another phone number. I reverse looked up the address to find a name and phone number of a person who lives there. They're not helpful. It's either the parent of the person, or the person's friend's parent. He's given me the run around basically, even after telling me he would give me my money back.

I don't know his name. Do I have any recourse? Can I subpoena his name/number somehow? I had planned on trying to take the parent who lived at the house to small claims and say that her son had sold me a product under a lie and that I thought it was under her name.
Guess you learned an expensive lesson.:eek:

justalayman

you might be able to obtain the name of the true owner via subpoena. If that isn't the guy you bought it from, it won't do you much good though.
In the end, getting your $300 back will likely cost you more than $300.

Unless you happen to learn more about this guy through cheap or free actions, you are probably best letting it go.

swalsh411

Run from people who want that much money in cash. Big warning sign.
That doesn't apply to craiglists where almost all dealing is in cash. The problem is with purchases like cell phones which can be bricks and you won't know it until you try to activate it. For most other items, once inspected, it's perfectly safe to pay in cash and safer for the seller as well.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Our OP may be interested in reading the thread from the SELLER of the phone:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/online-purchases-sales-87/can-guy-press-criminal-charges-against-my-wife-i-538103.html

Antigone*

It's close, but the OP in the other thread said he sold a $300 phone for $70. But still a weird coinky-dinky.
LOL, I thought the same as Zig. In fact if this is the same thread I'm thinking of; I replied to him/her this morning stating that the other party had already posted and he better pay up.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
LOL, I thought the same as Zig. In fact if this is the same thread I'm thinking of; I replied to him/her this morning stating that the other party had already posted and he better pay up.
The biggest give away is that this thread is from Indiana, the other Texas :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">