• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist scammers!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erika9969

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

i have bought a car off craigslist in early november of 2011. it was a 97 ford taurus. its my first car so im not to familiar on how titles work but, ok, when i bought the car i noticed the license plate was from colorado i asked the guy why and he said his wife worked in colorado and they just moved...so i let that 1 go. but then when i saw the title, it did not have his name on it (it, i asked him why as well...he said it was his wifes name. i let that 1 go to. THEN when i tried transfering titles to my name the flowing monday i was told i needed to file for a "bonded title"...because he wanted nothing to do with it anymore.

its been maybe 3 monthes or so now, and ive been browsing threw craigslist again and i came across a couple adds that states "BEWARE" of this guy
hes selling more cars under the same name my title was under and also OUT OF STATE.

my question is....do i have a small claims case or is there ANYTHING i can do to stop him.

Antigone*

i have bought a car off craigslist in early november of 2011. it was a 97 ford taurus. its my first car so im not to familiar on how titles work but, ok, when i bought the car i noticed the license plate was from colorado i asked the guy why and he said his wife worked in colorado and they just moved...so i let that 1 go. but then when i saw the title, it did not have his name on it (it, i asked him why as well...he said it was his wifes name. i let that 1 go to. THEN when i tried transfering titles to my name the flowing monday i was told i needed to file for a "bonded title"...because he wanted nothing to do with it anymore.

its been maybe 3 monthes or so now, and ive been browsing threw craigslist again and i came across a couple adds that states "BEWARE" of this guy
hes selling more cars under the same name my title was under and also OUT OF STATE.

my question is....do i have a small claims case or is there ANYTHING i can do to stop him.
A small claims case for what, you have the car.

Hope you learned a lesson about buying used cars.

sandyclaus

...when i bought the car i noticed the license plate was from colorado i asked the guy why and he said his wife worked in colorado and they just moved...so i let that 1 go. but then when i saw the title, it did not have his name on it (it, i asked him why as well...he said it was his wifes name. i let that 1 go to. THEN when i tried transfering titles to my name the flowing monday i was told i needed to file for a "bonded title"...because he wanted nothing to do with it anymore...
A small claims case for what, you have the car.

Hope you learned a lesson about buying used cars.
x2, dear Tigi.

If all these red flags were staring you in the face and you STILL just let them go, then you were just the sucker this scammer was looking for.

You have the vehicle. What EXACTLY are you trying to sue for?

good title for a song "Craigslist ----- Scammers!"

Always go to dmv and transfer the title prior to paying

he who has the gold, makes the rules

John_DFW

its been maybe 3 monthes or so now, and ive been browsing threw craigslist again and i came across a couple adds that states "BEWARE" of this guy hes selling more cars under the same name my title was under and also OUT OF STATE.
File a complaint with the Texas Attorney General.

You won't be able to sell the car without the title, so you need to make efforts to obtain the title one way or another.

File a complaint with the Texas Attorney General.

You won't be able to sell the car without the title,
Maybe another Craigslist listing? Pawn it off on someone else.******

Just kidding !

Last option: see DMV & ask about issuing out your own title for the vehicle (likely a dead end but DMV regulations likely allow for this under very limited circumstances)

what im trying to do is to STOP this guy from screwing other people over!
File a complaint with the authorities if you wish; you will not be able to do anything your self to stop him PLUS you may open yourself up for a libel suit if you try.

We have things called police, DAs, and judges in this country.

We don't live in Judge Dredd land.

Hot Topic

It's common knowledge that scammers thrive on Craigslist. Anyone who buys a car on it is asking, no, begging, to be taken.

Warnings are fine, but if anyone believes they're going to stop the guy from taking advantage of people like you, they're very much mistaken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">