• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist Seller took deposit for Item -- Canceled sale & Kept Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NAL11354

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I answered an Ad on Craigslist for a Plasma TV. It was $700. I went to this guys apartment in Manhattan to see the TV. I decided to buy it and gave him a cash deposit of $400 to hold the TV. He writes up an agreement which we both sign. That was three weeks ago..

the next week he decides he isn't going to sell the TV because he got another job and is suddenly moving. Agrees to refund my money. So far no refund. Keep getting excuses and promises that he will refund. He told me he will not meet up with me & give me cash or a check because the contract didn't state a location or method for refund. It did say after three days after 10 days from deposit if not picked up, would refund.

This guy is blatantly stringing me along. How do I get my money back?? Small claims in NYC can probably take weeks if not months to get a case heard. I did a background check & trace on his email & address and got his Social Security number and other info which I told him I will use to take legal action. He is now telling me I illegally obtained his info but 'either way I will get refund'. I tell him, he blatantly stole my money and he is a liar & coward.

I have the terms in writing as well as many emails with intent to refund my money. I have an airtight case. Surprised this person is being so smug about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">