• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy ex, fun fun! What now???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hipgal1232001

Pennsylvania is where we are located (me and my ex boyfriend, no marriage(thank god, lol)). So i dated him from march2011-sept2011, and we broke up, and now it's getting nasty. Well, he is. I owed him what we agreed on of $650, and have paid $350 with receipts to show for it. There was never a written contract, or legally binding document of any kind between the two of us. It was just an agreement of spoken word. And it was for small stuff like gas money, my bed and fan, and part of a trip to go see my family in MI. He never bought me a new car, or co signed a credit card, nothing major. He today informed me he's taking it to court, and I just want to know what he will have to do to open a claim. Also, what i could/would/should do in the defending of myself. As I stated, I am from MI, and am not familiar with PA's small claims court laws. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank You! :)

Gail in Georgia

So you don't believe you own him the other $300?? Have you stopped paying on this debt?

It's relatively easy to file for a lawsuit in Small Claims. The cost of doing so is typically added to the judgement if the ex-boyfriend wins his case.

If he has copies of the receipts he provided you with he may likely be able to establish that contract was made between the two of you.

Gail

Antigone*

Pennsylvania is where we are located (me and my ex boyfriend, no marriage(thank god, lol)). So i dated him from march2011-sept2011, and we broke up, and now it's getting nasty. Well, he is. I owed him what we agreed on of $650, and have paid $350 with receipts to show for it. There was never a written contract, or legally binding document of any kind between the two of us. It was just an agreement of spoken word. And it was for small stuff like gas money, my bed and fan, and part of a trip to go see my family in MI. He never bought me a new car, or co signed a credit card, nothing major. He today informed me he's taking it to court, and I just want to know what he will have to do to open a claim. Also, what i could/would/should do in the defending of myself. As I stated, I am from MI, and am not familiar with PA's small claims court laws. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thank You! :)
Judges really hate sorting out the pots and pans of the lives of exboyfriends/exgirlfriends. If he has no proof other than your word, then tell him to have at it. He will most likely lose.

Well, he has not done it yet. So you can pay him the additional $300. have him sign a release ... simple one just saying that you owe him nothing from that point further and he releases any past claims against you.

hipgal1232001

hi

Well, he has random receipts from Kmart, and grey hound. But does this mean anyone could sue an ex over a random receipt laying around the house??? Yeah he has proof of the dollars spent, but no agreements between us of how the repaying back process would go. Like I said, it was all just agreed between us solely on spoken words. No contracts, agreements, or anything. Thanks again. :)

BL

If he has receipts and you just dated and did not live together ,it sounds like he may have claims for some of the things , others the court would most likely toss out .

Don't admit your verbal debt .

The court may be inclined to rule what you have paid is enough .

A) Bed & fan = $$$ ?

B ) 1/2 of a trip = $$$ ?

Piddly stuff like gas , most likely not .

Perhaps if A & B add up to more than you paid offer to settle before court for the difference .As was said get it in writting first .

hipgal1232001

hi

Well, I think the judge will ask me if acknowledge the debts he lists (and Lord knows he'll be counting every penny). And I don't know how to respond in a manner that won't get me totally screwed. I'm not ever in trouble, and don't know the government well. Maybe it's a mistake on my part yes, but I'm not sure exactly how to respond. Say I acknowledge half the list? Or pick through it, and pick certain things? Idk I really don't. This is a serious thorn in my side though. Ugh. Thanks again. :)

BL

Well, I think the judge will ask me if acknowledge the debts he lists (and Lord knows he'll be counting every penny). And I don't know how to respond in a manner that won't get me totally screwed. I'm not ever in trouble, and don't know the government well. Maybe it's a mistake on my part yes, but I'm not sure exactly how to respond. Say I acknowledge half the list? Or pick through it, and pick certain things? Idk I really don't. This is a serious thorn in my side though. Ugh. Thanks again. :)
Small things like $5 or $10 in gas especially if he was riding with you won't fly most likey .

You say he did those for us or for me out of kindness.

Of course if he filled you tank so you could get to work , etc . it might count .

A fan might be considered a gift , or even if he visited and said it was hot in your place ,I'll buy you fan .Well he got some use of it too then ,right ? Could be considered a gift also.

Look, to keep things simple you both agreed to the $650 amount which you have paid $350. If you wish to lie under oath and say that that amount was not agreed to then I cannot help you anymore. Because the judge will ask. And if you go "well its like this", then expect the judge to discount your testimony.

I don't think you are that sort of person. So gather the $300 and pay him and have him sign a release.

Do you have a problem with this simple & equitable solution?

hipgal1232001

hi

See, that's where I think he's going to get shifty on me. It was his mom who gave me rides places, I didn't even own a car at the time. She helped me get to a destination that was like 4 hours away, but again. More receipts w/o agreements attached to them. That's where the gas came in though. And she would always say, don't worry about it, and now that we're broke up it's re surfacing. Should I type up a whole letter to the judge explaining details? Could or would it possibly help?? Thank you again. The advice is immensely appreciated. :)

hipgal1232001

hi

She could testify on his behalf I suppose though. With more receipts and no agreements. I guess a big question in my case is: in the pa courts, exactly how valuable is an agreement based solely on spoken word?

BL

See, that's where I think he's going to get shifty on me. It was his mom who gave me rides places, I didn't even own a car at the time. She helped me get to a destination that was like 4 hours away, but again. More receipts w/o agreements attached to them. That's where the gas came in though. And she would always say, don't worry about it, and now that we're broke up it's re surfacing. Should I type up a whole letter to the judge explaining details? Could or would it possibly help?? Thank you again. The advice is immensely appreciated. :)
You owe him nothing for the ride .

Things like that you owe him nothing .

Judge's are not stupid .

They know when relationships break up it gets nitpicky .

You follow your State's rules on small claims .

Letters are of no good .

Learn your States small claims procedures and either acknowledge a debt or do not acknowledge .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">