• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Debt and Ex Girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oakleys0809

Ohio

My ex girlfriend opened some credit cards while we were together. She added me as a secondary card holder. I bought a laptop and I also used the card to got on a trip to Florida with her. I agreed to pay 1/2 of the trip and also the full amount of my laptop. Since then we have broken up and she has consolidated the full amount of her credit card debts. I agreed to pay her 1/2 of the payments for the consolidation until the amount of the the trip and laptop was reached. I have receipts in the about of $250 that total up the the amount of the trip and laptop. I told her I was no longer paying anything because I agreed to pay for those things only. She now wants to sue me for the amount of her debt and have me continue to pay her monthly. There is nothing in writing and I did not sign any contracts for the credit cards. I fear that since I did make payments to her in the amount for $250 for a while that the court will see this as an agreement between us and I will have to keep paying her money I do not owe. She has threatened to sue me for the money. What should I do? Am I responsible? Is there a chance I will have to pay her until her debt management program is over?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, you're stiffing the ex for the remainder of what you owe?

There is no way a laptop and a trip to Fla. came out to $250 :rolleyes:

Ohio

My ex girlfriend opened some credit cards while we were together. She added me as a secondary card holder. I bought a laptop and I also used the card to got on a trip to Florida with her. I agreed to pay 1/2 of the trip and also the full amount of my laptop. Since then we have broken up and she has consolidated the full amount of her credit card debts. I agreed to pay her 1/2 of the payments for the consolidation until the amount of the the trip and laptop was reached. I have receipts in the about of $250 that total up the the amount of the trip and laptop. I told her I was no longer paying anything because I agreed to pay for those things only. She now wants to sue me for the amount of her debt and have me continue to pay her monthly. There is nothing in writing and I did not sign any contracts for the credit cards. I fear that since I did make payments to her in the amount for $250 for a while that the court will see this as an agreement between us and I will have to keep paying her money I do not owe. She has threatened to sue me for the money. What should I do? Am I responsible? Is there a chance I will have to pay her until her debt management program is over?

oakleys0809

No, I am not stiffing her... I have payed her over $3000 bucks in payments of $250 a month... Sorry if that was not clear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">