• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Theft or Small Claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mstill

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I have a friend who lent me some stuff a few months ago (totaling about $30) and I told her to come take it back when I had to move. She didn't, so I thought she donated it to me and it got packed with all my stuff and now she is threating to file a police report for theft. I'm not really worried because I'll get it back to her eventually, but I am just wondering where the line between criminal theft and a small claims civil dispute is, and where my situation lies within those guidelines.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why don't you just gave back the stuff you took (improperly) NOW? Is it just not convenient for you?

dcatz

Well, the line is at "eventually", which is when she decides to both file a criminal complaint and sue you. Make an effort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">