• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crooked customer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsls

What is the name of your state? I live and work in NY. I did work for a customer approx 2 yrs ago. They did not pay me in full, and in turn brought them to small claims court. They conter sued me and the judge awarded us both a judgement. in turn I owe $2100 dollars to them.
My question I guess is, at the time of the work the companty was incorporated, am I personally responsible for the debt if the company has since gone belly up?

JETX

My question I guess is, at the time of the work the companty was incorporated, am I personally responsible for the debt if the company has since gone belly up?
You are responsible to the CORPORATION. However, since they are no longer in business, you are NOT liable to any individual... unless that individual can provide PROVE that they purchased the assets of the corporation and took it private (no longer a corporation).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did they name you personally in the suit? You started out saying they counter-sued you - and that they got a judgment against you. Then you throw the corp. in at the last minute...

rsls

zinger

work was done for a neighbor, he insisted that I give him my Fed ID number, because he wanted to take it off his taxes as business expense. At the time while still in business was incorporated. Named personally in suit, but was done as business transaction

BL

work was done for a neighbor, he insisted that I give him my Fed ID number, because he wanted to take it off his taxes as business expense. At the time while still in business was incorporated. Named personally in suit, but was done as business transaction
If he got a tax write off , why was he awarded a Judgment against YOU ?

You were named personally as work for a neighbor it appears , and the neighbor was awarded a Judgment as such .

There must have been a reason he was awarded a Judgment against YOU individually .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">