• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crooked Sunglasses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajfarms1

Texas

I recently bought a pair of cost del mar sunglasses from Academy sporting goods. Left the store and continued on my road trip. After thirty minutes of constantly adjusting them, I looked very closely and noticed the ear pieces were at slightly different angles. Unable to adjust because they are all plastic, no wire inside to hold shape. I bought another pair from a different store on the road and fit was good, same brand and frame style but built squarely so they were comfortable and stayed in place. When I attempted to return the defective ones, the store director told me the do not accept returns on glasses. Needless to say I was not happy. 270 dollars for crooked sunglasses! Do I have any recourse or am I stuck with expensive sunglasses I cant stand to wear? Any help would sure be greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch, Allen

justalayman

Take them to an optical shop and have them adjusted. They have a heated sand bath they use to heat the plastic which would enable them to reposition the part in question. It is likely the pair you have we're exposed to high enough temperatures while allowed to set in such a position that they became misshapen prior to your purchase.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Talk about first world problems....

You didn't try your $270 sunglasses on before you bought them? You didn't notice at the time you needed adjustment?

*sits here in shock that someone actually believes they should be able to take legal action for this

Shame on you, Allen. Shame on you.

ajfarms1

Talk about first world problems....

You didn't try your $270 sunglasses on before you bought them? You didn't notice at the time you needed adjustment?

*sits here in shock that someone actually believes they should be able to take legal action for this

Shame on you, Allen. Shame on you.
I am not an avid wearer of glasses. As such I apologize for my ignorance. I did not notice the slight imperfection before purchase, and being on a vacation trip I did not have time to deal with the situation.

Texas

I recently bought a pair of cost del mar sunglasses from Academy sporting goods. Left the store and continued on my road trip. After thirty minutes of constantly adjusting them, I looked very closely and noticed the ear pieces were at slightly different angles. Unable to adjust because they are all plastic, no wire inside to hold shape. I bought another pair from a different store on the road and fit was good, same brand and frame style but built squarely so they were comfortable and stayed in place. When I attempted to return the defective ones, the store director told me the do not accept returns on glasses. Needless to say I was not happy. 270 dollars for crooked sunglasses! Do I have any recourse or am I stuck with expensive sunglasses I cant stand to wear? Any help would sure be greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch, Allen
I wear premium sunglasses as well and all of them from Oakley, Porsche Design etc. will allow you exchange them through the manufacturer. I know you do not need them any long but if you exchange them with the maker, you probably could sell them for new and recoup most of your money.

FlyingRon

Believe me, they get bent in transit and will certainly be damaged by rough handling after you purchase them.

As pointed out any optical shop worth it's salt can heat them (either the hot sand or now some use blasts of hot air) and refit them for you.
Most won't charge anything for this service.

OHRoadwarrior

I am not an avid wearer of glasses. As such I apologize for my ignorance. I did not notice the slight imperfection before purchase, and being on a vacation trip I did not have time to deal with the situation.
It is common procedure for one to make sure the sunglasses they are buying fit. Otherwise the purchase is moot. I have never heard of someone buying a $3 pair of sunglasses, without making sure they fit. One can only assume you messed up the adjustment, fatigued the metal and are now trying to push the damage back on the store.

ajfarms1

It is common procedure for one to make sure the sunglasses they are buying fit. Otherwise the purchase is moot. I have never heard of someone buying a $3 pair of sunglasses, without making sure they fit. One can only assume you messed up the adjustment, fatigued the metal and are now trying to push the damage back on the store.
Before attempting to be intelligent, you should try reading. Glasses are plastic only frames. Molded crooked like roadwarriors!

OHRoadwarrior

Before attempting to be intelligent, you should try reading. Glasses are plastic only frames. Molded crooked like roadwarriors!
Wow!!! Plastic hinges and plastic screws? Ummm those are parts that bend. Before discussing intelligence, you should consider your decision to pay $270 for plastic sunglasses, when you could buy a similar pair for $3. Apparently, that fit just as well.:) Someone who had the money to spare, would not be on the internet crying about it.

OHRoadwarrior

I suggest you read the thread again. You received several helpful and correct responses. You are the one who became sarcastic and then received such a response. The problem is you did not want a reasonable explanation of the stores position. You did not want the suggestion to have them adjusted elsewhere. You did not want the suggestion to make application for a manufacturers warranty. Apparently, what you wanted was someone to advise you of law X, that entitled you to return to the store and make them buy back the sunglasses.

There seems to be a fair amount of seniors on this site that enjoy poking sarcastic fun at people with problems. Instead of spending time on this ****hole, they should get a job and then yall too could afford better sunglasses. Wont be coming back here, way too many little dicked computer gazing morons for me. F**k off A**holes

ajfarms1

I suggest you read the thread again. You received several helpful and correct responses. You are the one who became sarcastic and then received such a response. The problem is you did not want a reasonable explanation of the stores position. You did not want the suggestion to have them adjusted elsewhere. You did not want the suggestion to make application for a manufacturers warranty. Apparently, what you wanted was someone to advise you of law X, that entitled you to return to the store and make them buy back the sunglasses.
Roadwarrior, disneykid and cbg all gave no advice. only the implication that I was at fault for not being a better consumer. Not one word of friendly, quality advice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My advice is that you try on your sunglasses and make sure they fit before you leave the store, because there is not a law that will force the store to take them back if you don't.

Like that better?

That's just plain common sense, dude. What the heck is wrong with you that you didn't do something that basic?

Antigone*

Roadwarrior, disneykid and cbg all gave no advice. only the implication that I was at fault for not being a better consumer. Not one word of friendly, quality advice.
My advice to you: Don't spend $270 for $10 sunglasses. :):):)

Now, I've given you quality advice - worth every penny you paid. I even used smiley faces to make sure it was friendly:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">