• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage deposit for RV rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingDutchman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I rented an RV from a rental company in Arizona and put down a $1000 damage deposit using a credit card. During the trip the awning was damaged due to heavy rain. I reported the damage promptly by phone per the rental agreement and returned the RV otherwise in good shape. The company owner claims we should not have left up the awning in the rain or we did not secure the awning fabric tight enough as per their instructions so we are fully responsible for the repair cost of the awning (which supposedly exceeds the damage deposit). In my defense as a first time RV renter, I was unaware of any restrictions with regards to the use of the awning and during the walk through of the RV the company representative failed to cover how to operate the awning altogether. I pointed out that I was not explained the use of the awning and have not heard back anything since.

Do I have a chance to try and get my damage deposit back by either going through small claims or my credit card company?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I rented an RV from a rental company in Arizona and put down a $1000 damage deposit using a credit card. During the trip the awning was damaged due to heavy rain. I reported the damage promptly by phone per the rental agreement and returned the RV otherwise in good shape. The company owner claims we should not have left up the awning in the rain or we did not secure the awning fabric tight enough as per their instructions so we are fully responsible for the repair cost of the awning (which supposedly exceeds the damage deposit). In my defense as a first time RV renter, I was unaware of any restrictions with regards to the use of the awning and during the walk through of the RV the company representative failed to cover how to operate the awning altogether. I pointed out that I was not explained the use of the awning and have not heard back anything since.

Do I have a chance to try and get my damage deposit back by either going through small claims or my credit card company?
Your actions allowed the awning to be damaged. Pay what you owe. Sheesh!

OHRoadwarrior

Exactly the reason one should not rent vehicles they are not familiar with operating unless there is an experienced person with them. I am planning on getting one after my kids are out of college and have already been cringing for 10 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">