• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

damaged personal property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joehr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.
I'm a newbie with this. Please forgive me. I've spent a bit of time doing web research and can't find the answers I need.
I'm preparing a letter requesting my previous landlord reimburse me for my personal property and other expenses due to a horribly leaking roof. We had a small leak and contacted our landlord. They responded quickly and tore out the tiles being affected and the insulation above it. They said they would have to wait for it to dry out before working on it. It took a half dozen calls and about 6 weeks for them to work on it. He had a roofing contractor and his own maintenance guy work on it. They worked on it one day, quit and said they would be back the next day. They told me they put a tarp over it. That night, we had a nice storm and the rain water poured in all over in various spots and not just the intitial leak. We have a lot of ruined personal property and our renter's insurance will not cover as the contractor was honest how it was caused. We also had to immediately move out as it was uninhabitable and the landlord wanted our stuff out to be able to do repairs. I have called and left messages for the contractor over and over. He won't respond to me. I am going to ask my prior landlord to reimburse me for my damaged property and I'm thinking about moving expenses, partial reimbursment for oil tank fill right before damage etc.
I have a few questions.
1. Does anyone think I have a case if this goes to small claims?
2. In my letter to my previous landlord, can I suggest a financial compromise instead of going to court?
3. Can I sue for the aggravation and mental stress the situation caused?
4. Can I sue for moving expenses?
5. Can I sue for the extra heating oil I was forced to leave in the tank above the quarter tank I was supposed to leave?
6. How do I come up with an amount to request/sue for? Replacement value?
Thanks in advance for your time in reading or responding to this!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania.
I'm a newbie with this. Please forgive me. I've spent a bit of time doing web research and can't find the answers I need.
I'm preparing a letter requesting my previous landlord reimburse me for my personal property and other expenses due to a horribly leaking roof. We had a small leak and contacted our landlord. They responded quickly and tore out the tiles being affected and the insulation above it. They said they would have to wait for it to dry out before working on it. It took a half dozen calls and about 6 weeks for them to work on it. He had a roofing contractor and his own maintenance guy work on it. They worked on it one day, quit and said they would be back the next day. They told me they put a tarp over it. That night, we had a nice storm and the rain water poured in all over in various spots and not just the intitial leak. We have a lot of ruined personal property and our renter's insurance will not cover as the contractor was honest how it was caused. We also had to immediately move out as it was uninhabitable and the landlord wanted our stuff out to be able to do repairs. I have called and left messages for the contractor over and over. He won't respond to me. I am going to ask my prior landlord to reimburse me for my damaged property and I'm thinking about moving expenses, partial reimbursment for oil tank fill right before damage etc.
I have a few questions.
1. Does anyone think I have a case if this goes to small claims?
Possibly.
2. In my letter to my previous landlord, can I suggest a financial compromise instead of going to court?
Yes
3. Can I sue for the aggravation and mental stress the situation caused?
Not successfully.
4. Can I sue for moving expenses?
Yes - and you might win.
5. Can I sue for the extra heating oil I was forced to leave in the tank above the quarter tank I was supposed to leave?
Yes - but you probably won't win.
6. How do I come up with an amount to request/sue for? Replacement value?
Actual value at the time of the loss (not replacement value)
Thanks in advance for your time in reading or responding to this!
You're welcome!

LdiJ

Possibly.

Yes

Not successfully.

Yes - and you might win.

Yes - but you probably won't win.

Actual value at the time of the loss (not replacement value)

You're welcome!
I agree with everything except the heating oil. That is a valid loss no differently than the damaged goods.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">