• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deadbeat ex-boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacquelineenos

What is the name of your state? I live in PA, he is in OK

A diffcult situation with multiple factors. After several years working on my bachelor's degree in Philadelphia, I needed a break from college and returned to my home state of Oklahoma. While there, I moved into an apartment with my boyfriend in Oklahoma City. We signed a lease together and I purchased an entire apartment full of furniture, kitchen, and bathroom accessories totalling $2980 after I subtracted the few things he no longer has because I took with me when I returned to college in January 2007. The plan we both agreed upon was that when i returned at the end of the semester (I lacked only a few credit hours) I would already have a place to live while I looked for a job. I also opened a credit card with 0% interest for 15 months, and got a second card for him. He was having financial difficulties due to some old debts from school loans and a laptop purchase, so I told him he could use the card for gas and food to hold him over between paychecks around Christmas. I was 1500 miles away and by the time I cancelled his card when i realized what he was doing, he had already charged $1350 in one month.

As you can imagine, the relationship fell through in February 2007, and I was unable to return to collect my furniture because I was still in school. He offered in an e-mail to pay me back for the furniture and credit card debt; I gave him exact figures based on the receipts I still have filed away with the e-mail correspondence. He stated he would make payments, by check, to cover the credit card debt by the time the 0% ended in February 2008 and pay for the rest over time as well. Then i could not contact him for several months. It is now summer, school is out, and I want to return to Oklahoma to finish these issues. He finally responded a few weeks ago, and said over the phone that he intended to pay me by the middle of summer but he is about to claim bankruptcy and recently got laid off from his company. He intends to pay me with student loans, as he will be entering college in the fall. Now he is refusing to answer my calls or messages again.

My questions:
1. Do I have a right to take him to small claims court for the cost of the furniture since there is no written agreement that I purchased it for myself and not just as a gift to him?
2. Since I am still on his lease until September, would it be wiser to go to the apartment and remove all the items that I have receipts for to prove ownership?
3. Does the e-mail that he sent promising to repay me hold any merit in court?
4. Can I take him to small claims court for the credit card purchases, since the account is in my name only?
5. Can someone who just claimed bankruptcy (I don't know if he is lying about that) then turn around and be approved for student loans?
6. If I file for small claims court, I assume I will have to do it in Oklahoma. I now have a job in PA and cannot return to Oklahoma for more than a week at a time. Is small claims court feasible with such a small window of time?

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer. I have certainly learned a tough lesson about trust from this entire mess.What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

File against the bad person in Oklahoma. Make sure that when the trial date is finally set that the judge (meaning you tell the clerk) that you want to be assured of a court date set in stone with no continuances since you will be coming from a long distance.

However, realistically, based on your post, I'd not spend another nickel trying to get money out of this guy.

Reasons why you will never get anything from him: "...As you can imagine, the relationship fell through in February 2007, and I was unable to return to collect my furniture because I was still in school. He offered in an e-mail to pay me back for the furniture and credit card debt; I gave him exact figures based on the receipts I still have filed away with the e-mail correspondence. He stated he would make payments, by check, to cover the credit card debt by the time the 0% ended in February 2008 and pay for the rest over time as well. Then i could not contact him for several months. It is now summer, school is out, and I want to return to Oklahoma to finish these issues. He finally responded a few weeks ago, and said over the phone that he intended to pay me by the middle of summer but he is about to claim bankruptcy and recently got laid off from his company. He intends to pay me with student loans, as he will be entering college in the fall. Now he is refusing to answer my calls or messages again...."

jacquelineenos

Lies

I don't believe that he was fired or claiming bankruptcy, though, so I do think there is a chance for me to collect if a judge orders him to pay. I think he lied about those things to make it seem as though he has no money, when in fact he is spending it other ways.

The problem is that I can't afford to pay off the credit card debt before the 0% ends, which means I will be stuck paying outrageous finance charges and interest, which I also cannot afford.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">