• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deadbeat Roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JonBrant

What is the name of your state?I'm in North Carolina

This is my first post here, so please pardon any kind of local etiquette I may be ignoring.

Short Version: My room mate owes me money from utilities(power, cable, internet).

Long Version: I'm a college student at East Carolina University, ECU. I live in Pirate's Place Apartments, where they have room mate matching. I was matched with a complete deadbeat. We had a verbal agreement to each pay half of the power, cable, and internet bills; he has yet to pay me a dime. Every time I brought up the subject, it was a different story - "Oh, you didn't get the check?"; "I'll have the money this weekend" Obviously he didn't; "One minute, I have the money" and then he gets in his car and disappears for a week. I am not joking, there were several times when he said "oh, I have it; be right back" and then got in his car and left.
On December 13th, he "moved out". He left all of his stuff here, but I haven't seen him since. He does not return my calls. He sent me an email around the middle of February saying he would be here on March 8th. I saved and printed the email. March 8th came and he never showed, called, emailed, or attempted any sort of contact. Today, I walk in and all of his furniture is gone. He came and took it all, left no money, attempted no sort of contact.

He owes me $386 in utilities, after I coaxed his grandmother (he wouldn't return my calls, so I called his mother repeatedly. She wouldn't return them either, so I had to go through two generations of this horrible family to even TALK to someone. I then managed to get $200 out of her)

My question is - Do I have a case? The way I see it, either he intended to pay the money, in which case obviously owes me the money, or he can say that he did not, in which case he was harrassing me, and that harrassment cost me $386.

If I do have a case, how do I go about doing that? I was told I have to go to the courthouse for my area, but I don't know what to do there. I am EXTREMELY mad about this, and desperate for help

Also, my father is telling me that the apartment owners are responsible for pairing me with him; but I don't think that's the case. Is he right?

Thank you,
Jonathan Brant

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">