• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deadly Neighbor's dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

medic1720

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
Two of my neighbor's dogs have attacked and mortally wounded my cat. After two days of treatment in the local Vet's office, the cat died. Cost of treatment was $850. The dog's owner knows of such attacks in the neighborhood by his dogs. They dig out of his backyard fence and wreak havoc on the cat population of our 75 home neighborhood. I saw the dogs standing ove my cat and can identify them (happend late one night). I scaired them away just to render aid to my cat. Otherwise, I would have taken the time to retreive my gun and killed them. I have not talked with the local police yet as I have been investigating other attacks near me. There are witnesses to the dogs attacking other cats. My legal question is if the dog owner refuses to pay my vet bill and I take him to court, could I collect court costs / legal fees in addition to the vet bill?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
Two of my neighbor's dogs have attacked and mortally wounded my cat. After two days of treatment in the local Vet's office, the cat died. Cost of treatment was $850. The dog's owner knows of such attacks in the neighborhood by his dogs. They dig out of his backyard fence and wreak havoc on the cat population of our 75 home neighborhood. I saw the dogs standing ove my cat and can identify them (happend late one night). I scaired them away just to render aid to my cat. Otherwise, I would have taken the time to retreive my gun and killed them. I have not talked with the local police yet as I have been investigating other attacks near me. There are witnesses to the dogs attacking other cats. My legal question is if the dog owner refuses to pay my vet bill and I take him to court, could I collect court costs / legal fees in addition to the vet bill?
Where was your cat? Was it in your yard? If not, then you are just as much as to blame as the dog owners. You need to be a responsible pet owner. Cats shouldn't be allowed to roam the neighborhood.

xylene

Where was your cat? Was it in your yard? If not, then you are just as much as to blame as the dog owners. You need to be a responsible pet owner. Cats shouldn't be allowed to roam the neighborhood.
I've underlined the part that makes this just your meaningless opinion.

Since in Mississippi cats are roaming animals.

medic1720

my yard

The cat was lying in my yard when I found it. Cat hair was found both on the edge of my yard and the edge of my neighbor's yard

medic1720

my yard

The neighbor who owns the dogs lives on another street and 200 yards away. They attacked another neighbor's cat on the same street as the dogs live on 2 months ago and were beaten off of that cat by another neighbor who knew where the dogs live. Stray animals are not a problem in our neighborhood. If we see amimals loose, we know them and why they are loose; their owner has let them out of the house to use the bathroom (5-10 min). If these dogs are out of their back yard, they've escaped. The dog owner has even commented to his Paramedic partner (my wife knows and has recently talked with him) that he "has a problem with his dogs digging out of the backyard".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I've underlined the part that makes this just your meaningless opinion.

Since in Mississippi cats are roaming animals.
And if they into someone else's yard, they can be killed by the dogs in that yard and the owner of the dogs will OWE nothing. Hence the point. Cats are not roaming animals. Cats that are pets are to be taken care of. I find a cat in my yard and it causes damage, animal control will get a call to come get it. If it starts to attack, I WILL KILL IT. Fact. If you love your cats, you take care of them.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
And if they into someone else's yard, they can be killed by the dogs in that yard and the owner of the dogs will OWE nothing. Hence the point. Cats are not roaming animals. Cats that are pets are to be taken care of. I find a cat in my yard and it causes damage, animal control will get a call to come get it. If it starts to attack, I WILL KILL IT. Fact. If you love your cats, you take care of them.
However, the point HERE is that the cat was in its owner's yard.

The DOGS were out loose and were trespassing.

If the dogs were on their owner's property, not on the loose, and the cat wandered into their yard, that would be unambiguous, and I'd join you in telling OP to go pound sand.

CdwJava

I would think that there are local ordinances governing the unsafe keeping of dangerous dogs. And if they are constantly escaping and attacking local cats, I'd think it would be pretty clear that those dogs are a danger. Where I am, they would probably have been seized and put down.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
However, the point HERE is that the cat was in its owner's yard.

The DOGS were out loose and were trespassing.

If the dogs were on their owner's property, not on the loose, and the cat wandered into their yard, that would be unambiguous, and I'd join you in telling OP to go pound sand.
The first post did NOT state that the cat was in her yard. And there was nothing stating where the cat was killed in the first post.

xylene

I love that when I point out that cats are roaming animals, who you can't just KILL KILL KILL even if they are trespassing, my hypothetical cat is subject to a self-defense revenge fantasy... :rolleyes:

xylene

§ 97-41-16. Maliciously injuring dogs or cats

http://www.wsmv.com/story/26449754/cat-fight-escalates-gets-mayors-attention

https://www.animallaw.info/article/detailed-discussion-state-cat-laws

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-state-dog-leash-laws

Don't know why that obvious fact require more proof than maniacally calling for the death of "trespassing" cats.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
§ 97-41-16. Maliciously injuring dogs or cats

http://www.wsmv.com/story/26449754/cat-fight-escalates-gets-mayors-attention

https://www.animallaw.info/article/detailed-discussion-state-cat-laws

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-state-dog-leash-laws

Don't know why that obvious fact require more proof than maniacally calling for the death of "trespassing" cats.
You need to learn to read. NO WHERE did I call for the death of trespassing cats. I said if the cat were to attack, I would kill it. And I would have a right to do so to protect myself, others and my property.

CdwJava

In my community cats are everywhere. You drive down the streets at night, and it's like running a slalom race because you are having to either brake or weave to avoid hitting them. We used to have an ordinance requiring that cat owners control and license their cats like dogs. But, somewhere in the dead of night about 10 years ago, the ordinance changes and they are now seen as near feral creatures with few requirements ... yet, when one is killed or run over, woe be to the owner of the dog or car that killed one.

It seems unfair to hold dog owners accountable to keep their animals under control but cats can roam wild and free, breeding as they wish ... sorta like some people I deal with, I suppose.

quincy

There is an interesting bill being considered in Mississippi (the "Mississippi Regulation of Dangerous Dogs Act") that has caused a lot of comment and controversy. A link to the bill is provided below.

What the bill does is not only define a dangerous dog, in part, as "any pit bull" but, perhaps more controversial, is Section 3, Number 8: "In order to determine if there is a violation of this section, a law enforcement officer, at any time, may enter the premises where a dangerous dog is kept, or is believed to be kept, for an on-site inspection of the premises."

That sure seems to violate a constitutional right or two.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2015/pdf/HB/1200-1299/HB1261IN.pdf

medic1720, I see some difficulties with a suit against the owner of the dogs. I do not see that you have the proof necessary to say that your cat was on your property when it was attacked. You say your cat's hair was found near the dog owner's property. If the cat entered onto the property of the dogs first, for example, and the dogs attacked it there and then chased it to your property, neither you nor your neighbor did a very good job of keeping your pets safe and you are both at fault for the death of your cat.

That said, it is always possible to sue anyone for any reason.

I am sorry for the loss of your cat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">