• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dealer refusing to provide release of lien after vehicle is paid off. please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Don_keebals

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri/Michigan. I currently live in MI and bought a used ford focus from a friend of mine. He has his dealers license through a dealership in Missouri (just to provide some insight on where the dealership is actually located). We settled on a total price of $1,500. We agreed that I would pay $500 up front, and $200 every other week until the car was paid off (about 2.5 months). He said he would place a lien on the title until it was paid off, which I agreed to. I made the final payment about a week ago, and he explained to me that his dealership would send me a release of lien letter, which I could take to the secratary of state and receive a lien free title. Well I have yet to receive the letter, and my attempts to ask him about it have been ignored. I'm wondering, is there a time frame that the release of lien must be issued/received by? If I don't receive the release of lien within that time frame, what can I do in order to obtain it? I have a feeling that he is going to give me a hard time to get this release. I would truly appreciate ANY help or advice that can be provided. Thank you!

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois/Michigan. I currently live in MI and bought a used ford focus from a friend of mine. He has his dealers license through a dealership in Illinois (just to provide some insight on where the dealership is actually located). We settled on a total price of $1,500. We agreed that I would pay $500 up front, and $200 every other week until the car was paid off (about 2.5 months). He said he would place a lien on the title until it was paid off, which I agreed to. I made the final payment about a week ago, and he explained to me that his dealership would send me a release of lien letter, which I could take to the secratary of state and receive a lien free title. Well I have yet to receive the letter, and my attempts to ask him about it have been ignored. I'm wondering, is there a time frame that the release of lien must be issued/received by? If I don't receive the release of lien within that time frame, what can I do in order to obtain it? I have a feeling that he is going to give me a hard time to get this release. I would truly appreciate ANY help or advice that can be provided. Thank you!
Its only been a week...I think that you are being a little impatient.

Don_keebals

Its only been a week...I think that you are being a little impatient.
I'm just trying to find out what I should do if it's been four or five weeks and I still don't have the release of lien. So I know what actions to take and who to contact if the situation comes to that, because I have a strong suspicion that it will (just from knowing the guy and the many details that I didn't feel was necessary to include in the original post). But thank you for your opinion, it is quite impatient of me to ask for advice long before I intend to use it. Just trying to be prepared...

LdiJ

I'm just trying to find out what I should do if it's been four or five weeks and I still don't have the release of lien. So I know what actions to take and who to contact if the situation comes to that, because I have a strong suspicion that it will (just from knowing the guy and the many details that I didn't feel was necessary to include in the original post). But thank you for your opinion, it is quite impatient of me to ask for advice long before I intend to use it. Just trying to be prepared...
If 30 days go by and you still have not received it, then you are probably going to have to sue him.

Don_keebals

If 30 days go by and you still have not received it, then you are probably going to have to sue him.
Okay, how would I initiate that process? Go to the police station and fill out a report? I've never sued anyone so I have no idea about how to go about it.. I really appreciate your help, seriously.

justalayman

No. You go to the courthouse in his area and file suit.

But before you do that;

Is the title a michigan or Missouri title?

BL

You can always file w/ OAG and file a complaint . It still might take a while ,but what's the Hurry ?

Don_keebals

No. You go to the courthouse in his area and file suit.

But before you do that;

Is the title a michigan or Missouri title?
Its a Michigan title, he lives here but the dealership that he is licensed under is in Missouri. I really hopes he just does the right thing and contacts his dealership and tells them to release the lien and send the letter but you can never be too sure. I've continued to try and contact him about this and he still hasn't responded. Thank you everyone for your help on this, I greatly appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">