• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deathbed Confession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnyoung161

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

(If not right area of forum, please move).

On June 12, 2013 my father because very ill and was rushed to the hospital. The doctors determined that he had advanced Gall Bladder Cancer, Stomach Cancer, Heart Cancer & Lung Cancer.

My father was rushed into emergency surgery immediately. About 4 hours later, a nurse informed us that my father went into cardiac arrest & slipped into a coma.

I left Texas, quit my job and moved in with my mom; to help take care of her, take her to hospital, etc. My older "Brother" and older sister also came to visit, but they both left due to work.

On July 6, 2013 my father had the breathing tube removed and he was somewhat alert. On July 7, 2013 my father made a comment to me that I was not his son, that Bobby was my dad. Within 20 minutes, my father passed away. I called my mother, who had left earlier in the day to get my aunt & uncle from the airport, to inform her of the tragic news.

I never said anything to the family about my father's comment to me; yet I did become very suicidal. I was rushed to the hospital after taking 25 aspirin, I attempted to hang myself. I was distraught, lost, confused & hurt that the man I admired was not my father.

Fast forward to September 2013. I started having a nervous breakdown & could not deal with the pain anymore. So I asked my mother who my father was, and she said it was my father, and not Bobby. She claimed she never knew a Bobby. About a week after our talk, I overheard my mother & uncle (her brother) talking on the phone & she said that I found out about Bobby, and she doesnt want me to know, that its a dark family secret she wants to take to her grave.

So, once again, I questioned her & she still denied everything. She told me to just let it go. Never once did she even seem concerned about my emotional well-being.

October 2013 I again become very suicidal, thinking of the father-Bobby situation. Did the man I call my father for the 18 years I lived turn out to be a lie? Finally, I questioned my uncle, who told me the truth. My older brother was from a previous relationship my mother had, and my father took custody of him / adopted him at 3 monthes old. My uncle informed me that my "Brother's" original birth certificate is sealed by the courts.

So once again, I questioned my mother, and told her what I knew. She still denies everything, even going as far as saying she doesnt care if I kill myself over this. My mother has been very hurtful towards me, even after I paid for the funeral, flew my "brother", sister, aunt & uncle in from different states.

So my questions are: What can I do to legally uncover the truth? Can I request a copy of the birth certificate? If so, how? Do I have to sue my mother to get a copy of the birth certificate? And dumb question, can I sue my mother for mental anguish and/or emotional distress?

Sorry for sounding like a babbling lunatic, Im just so confused why a mother would allow her own son be distraught & suicidal over a situation she could rectify.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

(If not right area of forum, please move).

On June 12, 2013 my father because very ill and was rushed to the hospital. The doctors determined that he had advanced Gall Bladder Cancer, Stomach Cancer, Heart Cancer & Lung Cancer.

My father was rushed into emergency surgery immediately. About 4 hours later, a nurse informed us that my father went into cardiac arrest & slipped into a coma.

I left Texas, quit my job and moved in with my mom; to help take care of her, take her to hospital, etc. My older "Brother" and older sister also came to visit, but they both left due to work.

On July 6, 2013 my father had the breathing tube removed and he was somewhat alert. On July 7, 2013 my father made a comment to me that I was not his son, that Bobby was my dad. Within 20 minutes, my father passed away. I called my mother, who had left earlier in the day to get my aunt & uncle from the airport, to inform her of the tragic news.

I never said anything to the family about my father's comment to me; yet I did become very suicidal. I was rushed to the hospital after taking 25 aspirin, I attempted to hang myself. I was distraught, lost, confused & hurt that the man I admired was not my father.

Fast forward to September 2013. I started having a nervous breakdown & could not deal with the pain anymore. So I asked my mother who my father was, and she said it was my father, and not Bobby. She claimed she never knew a Bobby. About a week after our talk, I overheard my mother & uncle (her brother) talking on the phone & she said that I found out about Bobby, and she doesnt want me to know, that its a dark family secret she wants to take to her grave.

So, once again, I questioned her & she still denied everything. She told me to just let it go. Never once did she even seem concerned about my emotional well-being.

October 2013 I again become very suicidal, thinking of the father-Bobby situation. Did the man I call my father for the 18 years I lived turn out to be a lie? Finally, I questioned my uncle, who told me the truth. My older brother was from a previous relationship my mother had, and my father took custody of him / adopted him at 3 monthes old. My uncle informed me that my "Brother's" original birth certificate is sealed by the courts.

So once again, I questioned my mother, and told her what I knew. She still denies everything, even going as far as saying she doesnt care if I kill myself over this. My mother has been very hurtful towards me, even after I paid for the funeral, flew my "brother", sister, aunt & uncle in from different states.

So my questions are: What can I do to legally uncover the truth? Can I request a copy of the birth certificate? If so, how? Do I have to sue my mother to get a copy of the birth certificate? And dumb question, can I sue my mother for mental anguish and/or emotional distress?

Sorry for sounding like a babbling lunatic, Im just so confused why a mother would allow her own son be distraught & suicidal over a situation she could rectify.
You can contact the dept of health in the county in which you were born to request a copy of your bc. No, you cannot sue and win.

What you REALLY NEED is counseling.

OHRoadwarrior

You may never find out. You had a father that loved you for the entire time he knew you. There are many kids out there who have never had even that. Take a step back and examine your life you will realize that your life has been complete. Only you made it unstable in your grief.

swalsh411

Of course she has become hurtful to you! You are accusing her of cheating on your father and lying to you your entire life. What would you expect her reaction to be??????

Seriously, get mental help.

bokaba

The court can't do anything unless there is some kind of relief the court can give under the law nor can it go on a fishing expedition for something that might be (unless you're seeking emotional distress or something--in which case, good luck). It can't simply compel someone to answer a question just for the sake of knowing the answer. This is something you will have to deal with out of court. Alternatively, you could try contacting a lab for genetic testing if your brother will consent, which won't prove who your father is, just whether or not you have different fathers, which would substantiate your uncle's story in part.

jbhenson

Of course she has become hurtful to you! You are accusing her of cheating on your father and lying to you your entire life. What would you expect her reaction to be??????

Seriously, get mental help.
Shes a liar, and most liars get angry when you confront them with the truth, they dont want to hear the truth, nor have anyone else know it. If you heard her on the phone, you heard it from her too. Probably because of the type of person she is, she will never admit it just as she said on the phone.

If I were you, I would try to forgive her.

If you cant do that right away, try to write a letter to her telling her everything that you feel, PUT IT IN WRITING, most humans are self centered, narcisitic beings nowadays, when you put something in writing for some strange reason, it tends to strike home a little more. BUT before you send it to her, thinlk long and hard about it. Take the time to review it at least 3 or 4 times.

Then after all this look for a higher power to help you, in my life I choose Jesus, he helps me through everything. But maybe a higher power can help you through the feelings you have. Get some counseling too, it helps, I know I have had some issues with combat that haunted me, but without God and counseling, I would not have gotten through them. I pray God will help you soon!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">