• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt with Ex-Girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Osyrus

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello, I am having problems with a debt that I have with an ex-girlfriend. I was in some debt trouble about 5-7 years ago. I have never went to her for help. I kept my debt a secret and then she found out about it and wanted to pay for it. I told her no, let me deal with my own problems. She kept insisting then I gave in to avoid a fight. Later on she gave me a credit card which was under her name and SSN#. She told me to charge what ever i.e. School tuition and school books. Over the years I did charge that to her card and paid her back here and there with what I could. I was only a student. Obviously I don't really have that much. We broke up and a year later she wants to take this to court and make me pay off this debt which is about 3 time more than I thought it would be. It seems that she is mad and wants me to pay for a debt that seems more than it should be. What kind of proof would she need to make this happen? She says that books, food, and other things are mine as well. Could she make me pay for things that I don't even remember doing? If the court rules that she is in the right (some how) Am I obligated by law to pay her what ever she asks? Thanks for your help

Also we never lived together.

Last edited:

djohnson

If she sues, the burden of proof is on her to show you owe it. This shouldn't be hard for her, she only has to have the statements and what is on them. A verbal agreement for you to pay her back, and you have no receipts for giving her anything back. So yes, she has a pretty good case.

Over the years I did charge that to her card and paid her back here and there with what I could.

So you paid her back because it was a loan. If she has proof of this, it will only strengthen her case. If the money was a gift, you wouldn't have repaid it, would you?

this debt which is about 3 time more than I thought it would be.

It was charged on a credit card, have you heard of interest?

Am I obligated by law to pay her what ever she asks?

If she wins, you will be obligated to pay the amount the court determines you owe. If you have evidence you owe less than she is asking, bring it to court.

Also we never lived together.

And, what in h*ll has that to do with the fact that you borrowed money from her?

God, I hope she wins.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">