• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debtor moved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mruno

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I won a case against a former neighbor who moved right before the case was taken to court. He was served via certified mail at his former address and signed for it (thank you forwarded mail!). He never showed up for court so I won the case. I waited for 60 days and mailed the debtor a letter asking for my judgment and received no response.
I then filed a "Application and Order to Produce Statement of Assets and to Appear for Examination" form SC-134 (http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/sc134.pdf) and was told by the clerk that the form needed to be served in person.
I do not know the new address, so what should I do now?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I won a case against a former neighbor who moved right before the case was taken to court. He was served via certified mail at his former address and signed for it (thank you forwarded mail!). He never showed up for court so I won the case. I waited for 60 days and mailed the debtor a letter asking for my judgment and received no response.
I then filed a "Application and Order to Produce Statement of Assets and to Appear for Examination" form SC-134 (http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/fillable/sc134.pdf) and was told by the clerk that the form needed to be served in person.
I do not know the new address, so what should I do now?
You have to find him.

latigo

The thought occurs that instead of sending such a foolish question off into the cyber ether, a person in your fix might try doing some basic “detective work”!

All living carbon forms have to be somewhere.

davidmcbeth3

If his mail is being forwarded then the post office has his new address. Check the domestic mail manual and see if you can get the new address from them.

I know that with PO boxes, anything dealing with money (chks, MOs) being delivered there requires the PO to disclose the information behind the PO Box.

Never looked at forwarding mail, Actually chk the DMM, with most postmasters I have had to show them the DMM w/PO box investigations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">