• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Def sold pers prop after I won jdgmnt against

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JUSTRAILS

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I won a small claims judgement against the defendant for approximately $2700. the def never paid within his given time so I subpoena'd him back to court for his financial and personal information. He doesn't work, has a savings account that I filed garnishment on (haven't heard yet how that is going) and it was revealed that he sold both his car (just a junker) and his nice Harley bike after I won the initial judgement against him. The judge stated that this was illegal. My questions are "How do I go about siezing this motorcycle in order to get the money owed me? and Now that it is no longer in his name but should be by law, Can I still garnish it as personal property?" Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

JETX

"How do I go about siezing this motorcycle in order to get the money owed me?"
*** You can't.

"and Now that it is no longer in his name but should be by law"
*** Not true. Depending on the facts of the sale, it might be possible to get a court order reversing the sale as a 'fraudulent conveyance', but it is by no means easy or simple.

"Can I still garnish it as personal property"
*** Again, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">