• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defendant - No Show(s) --- Now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ReDtYdE

What is the name of your state? MD

I have (2) judgements against a defendant in a MD court although the defendant resides in NY.

All of the cases have resulted in his no-show. Currently I am at the Show Cause stage and I don't expect he will show for that either.

What are my next steps? Can I put a lien against his property in NY state?
I believe he will be in contempt of court if he does not show for this next appearance, am I correct?

Thank you in advance for any help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ReDtYdE said:
What is the name of your state? MD

I have (2) judgements against a defendant in a MD court although the defendant resides in NY.

All of the cases have resulted in his no-show. Currently I am at the Show Cause stage and I don't expect he will show for that either.

What are my next steps? Can I put a lien against his property in NY state?
I believe he will be in contempt of court if he does not show for this next appearance, am I correct?

Thank you in advance for any help.

My response:

Why are you suing a New York resident in Maryland? What evidence do you have that the Defendant has minimum contacts with the State of Maryland? In other words, why do you believe that Maryland has jurisdiction over a New York resident?

Without jurisdiction, a Maryland court cannot hold a New York resident in Contempt of court.

Why didn't you sue in New York?

IAAL

ReDtYdE

Contract work was performed in the state of MD

This was a NY state corporation that I contracted to do work on my residence in MD. He took the deposit and skipped town. If prosecuted as a criminal matter, the crime would have been committed in the state of MD. I believe that was my intent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">