• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

delivery of a court summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nc212

What is the name of your state?Ca

An individul owes me money from nov 2000. I Recently filed in court to sue the individual, however the only mailing address I have for this person is a UPS store mail box. I went there and the employee said that he would put it in his box. Is this ok? Is this a proper way to serve someone with papers? Also if this individual manages to evade me for 7 yrs doesn't statue of limitaions come into affect?

racer72

Where did you get this 7 year figure? The SOL in California is 2 years on oral contracts, 4 years on all others. You may have waited too long.

S

seniorjudge

nc212 said:
What is the name of your state?Ca

An individul owes me money from nov 2000. I Recently filed in court to sue the individual, however the only mailing address I have for this person is a UPS store mail box. I went there and the employee said that he would put it in his box. Is this ok? Is this a proper way to serve someone with papers? Also if this individual manages to evade me for 7 yrs doesn't statue of limitaions come into affect?
Check with your state bar for small claims booklets. One of those booklets will tell you if it's okay to serve by certified mail, return receipt requested. Perhaps the small claims clerk could also tell you that.

If the SOL for CA is four years on written contracts, then you have chosen not to go after this person and have chosen not to exercise your rights. Translation: you lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">