• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Demand for reimbursement of gifts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

livinlife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have been dating/engaging in a friendship with a man for the last 3 months. He has purchased a few gifts for me, including shoes, perfume, iPod. Last week, I needed to visit a Naturopathic doctor. He had made the appointment for me because I did not have time. I did not know the bill was going to be quite as high as it was(total was $130), I'm a university student and jobless. He was waiting for me to finish my appt. and was quite close to the office . I called him from the office and asked if he could come and help me with the bill(he has offered many times to help with payments of anything and this is the first time I've requested). He showed up, paid the entire bill in cash, and that was it. I offered, while we were in the office to reimburse him for the bill. He said not to worry about it.

A few days ago, he suddenly decides he wants nothing to do with me and demands that I send back the iPod and pay him back for the ND visit. All of this communication is through email. I received the first email with the demands and typed back "will do." After, I talked to my friend and he said this guy has no grounds to do anything and to ignore, thus I have. I have been receiving Paypal money order requests to all of my email accounts. I received one this morning stating that if I do not pay, legal action will be taken against me.

I have not signed any contracts and as I said, he said not to worry about paying back the doctor's bill. I had a bit of indication that he was not entirely stable but I was never expecting anything like this. He's incredibly wealthy and has an attorney. I'm intimidated by him.

I apologize if this is totally ridiculous sounding. It is all true though. My question is, do I have to pay him back? Am I at risk for legal action against me? Can he bring any action against me?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have been dating/engaging in a friendship with a man for the last 3 months. He has purchased a few gifts for me, including shoes, perfume, iPod. Last week, I needed to visit a Naturopathic doctor. He had made the appointment for me because I did not have time. I did not know the bill was going to be quite as high as it was(total was $130), I'm a university student and jobless. He was waiting for me to finish my appt. and was quite close to the office . I called him from the office and asked if he could come and help me with the bill(he has offered many times to help with payments of anything and this is the first time I've requested). He showed up, paid the entire bill in cash, and that was it. I offered, while we were in the office to reimburse him for the bill. He said not to worry about it.

A few days ago, he suddenly decides he wants nothing to do with me and demands that I send back the iPod and pay him back for the ND visit. All of this communication is through email. I received the first email with the demands and typed back "will do." After, I talked to my friend and he said this guy has no grounds to do anything and to ignore, thus I have. I have been receiving Paypal money order requests to all of my email accounts. I received one this morning stating that if I do not pay, legal action will be taken against me.

I have not signed any contracts and as I said, he said not to worry about paying back the doctor's bill. I had a bit of indication that he was not entirely stable but I was never expecting anything like this. He's incredibly wealthy and has an attorney. I'm intimidated by him.

I apologize if this is totally ridiculous sounding. It is all true though. My question is, do I have to pay him back? Am I at risk for legal action against me? Can he bring any action against me?
You can be sue for any reason by anyone, it doesn't mean that he will win. These kinds of frivilous actions are brought up in small claim court quite often. Unless any of those gifts include an engagement ring then you don't owe him a dime.

I would however, pay him for the doctor's visit, but then again, that's just my opinion.

Mass_Shyster

Am I at risk for legal action against me? Can he bring any action against me?
Anyone can sue you. They may not win, but they can sue.

He may sue you, and it will be he said vs she said. The judge will decide the winner.

If I were in your situation, I would pay him the $130, and return the worn shoes and used ipod, and whatever perfume is left in the bottle.

Reba

He may file in small claims for all he has given to you as gifts. However, gifts are yours to keep as soon as they are delivered to you and accepted by you. If you promised to pay him back for the medical charges, you owe him the money. Try and see if you can make a payment arrangement and pay him $10 a week or something affordable until paid in full. If he accepts, make sure it is in writing and you have payment confirmation every time you pay him. Good luck!

livinlife

He may file in small claims for all he has given to you as gifts. However, gifts are yours to keep as soon as they are delivered to you and accepted by you. If you promised to pay him back for the medical charges, you owe him the money. Try and see if you can make a payment arrangement and pay him $10 a week or something affordable until paid in full. If he accepts, make sure it is in writing and you have payment confirmation every time you pay him. Good luck!
I made no contract, no agreement to pay him back. None whatsoever. He implied that paying for my doctor was a gift and he was happy to help. It was left at that.

I am not sending him anything back. Those items were given to me as gifts. The reason he is upset with me is because a few nights ago he ingested a little too much OTC cold medicine with alcohol, had a lapse of memory for 5 hours. Sent me some horribly obnoxious text msgs, claims he does not remember anything. Next morning, apologizes to me, drives himself to the ER thinking something is horribly wrong with him because he is a drama queen , leaves with a clean bill of health and a reprimand to not do that again, expected me to drop everything, meet him at the ER and come take care of him. Everything is fine and then I get a nasty email that night stating that I am not a "real friend" and starts with the demands. This is him being a control freak and a complete jerk. Lesson learned. End of story.

Antigone*

I made no contract, no agreement to pay him back. None whatsoever. He implied that paying for my doctor was a gift and he was happy to help. It was left at that.

I am not sending him anything back. Those items were given to me as gifts. The reason he is upset with me is because a few nights ago he ingested a little too much OTC cold medicine with alcohol, had a lapse of memory for 5 hours. Sent me some horribly obnoxious text msgs, claims he does not remember anything. Next morning, apologizes to me, drives himself to the ER thinking something is horribly wrong with him because he is a drama queen , leaves with a clean bill of health and a reprimand to not do that again, expected me to drop everything, meet him at the ER and come take care of him. Everything is fine and then I get a nasty email that night stating that I am not a "real friend" and starts with the demands. This is him being a control freak and a complete jerk. Lesson learned. End of story.
Great...our work here is done. Too bad I don't have time to watch day-time TV...I'll be missing your drama queen boyfriend hauling your behind off to Judge Judy's court room.

I guess you're happy when boyfriend runs to your rescue. It tell us a lot about you when you can't run to his. :eek: He is much better off without you.

livinlife

Great...our work here is done. Too bad I don't have time to watch day-time TV...I'll be missing your drama queen boyfriend hauling your behind off to Judge Judy's court room.

I guess you're happy when boyfriend runs to your rescue, tell us a lot about you when you can't run to his. :eek: He is much better off without you.
Well, that is just too bad. I am sorry I am coming off as rude, to me it sounded like people here were urging that I return the gifts because of a moral issue, not a legal issue.

His rescue?? There was NOTHING wrong with him, he is 47 years old and made an ass out of himself and blamed it on taking too much cough syrup.

Antigone*

Well, that is just too bad. I am sorry I am coming off as rude, to me it sounded like people here were urging that I return the gifts because of a moral issue, not a legal issue.

His rescue?? There was NOTHING wrong with him, he is 47 years old and made an ass out of himself and blamed it on taking too much cough syrup.
I called him from the office and asked if he could come and help me with the bill(he has offered many times to help with payments of anything and this is the first time I've requested). He showed up, paid the entire bill in cash, and that was it.
You went to a doctor's appointment that you know you didn't have the money for and HE rescued you. You are too selfish and self-centered to return the favor.

You come off like a gold digger and the drama queen is much better off without you. I gave you legal adivce before...now I'm just giving you a piece of my mind ~ of course that is free too:D

Last edited:

livinlife

You went to a doctor's appointment that you know you didn't have the money for and HE rescued you. You are too self and self-centered to return the favor.

You come off like a gold digger and the drama queen is much better off without you. I gave you legal adivce before...now I'm just giving you a piece of my mind ~ of course that is free too:D
Ya, I went to the doctor, no I was not concerned with how much it cost, yes, I figured in the back of my mind that he would pay for it if it was more than I had expected. CONSIDERING, just considering, he is the reason I even had to go to the doctor....female issues, leave it at that. And yes, her treatment program was a lot more extensive/expensive than I had been counting on.

Return the favor? When he has a crap fit, goes to the ER and attempts to blame it on the cold medication and pulls a pity me party? No. That is just nonsense.

And gold digging? Him paying for a doctor's appt. and buying me a few gifts when he more than has the means to do so, none of which I have ASKED for is godl digging????? Really????

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

to me it sounded like people here were urging that I return the gifts because of a moral issue, not a legal issue.
If you return the junk:

A) You can say you returned it, and he has no claim

B) There's not much he can do with worn shoes, half a bottle of perfume, and a used ipod. He may sell the ipod for something, but not nearly what he paid for it.

C) Do you really want his gifts?

D) What happens if he sues you and the judge finds for him for the original purchase price?

E) How will it look to the judge if he sues you anyway after you've returned all the junk.

Antigone*

If you return the junk:

A) You can say you returned it, and he has no claim

B) There's not much he can do with worn shoes, half a bottle of perfume, and a used ipod. He may sell the ipod for something, but not nearly what he paid for it.

C) Do you really want his gifts?

D) What happens if he sues you and the judge finds for him for the original purchase price?

E) How will it look to the judge if he sues you anyway after you've returned all the junk.
Steve, can't you tell; it's all about her. The OP cares nothing about anybody but herself, so yes according to her she is entitle to all that junk and more.

How dare her boyfriend ask her to come to the ER!!!! What kind of B.S. is that:rolleyes:

livinlife

Steve, can't you tell; it's all about her. The OP cares nothing about anybody but herself, so yes according to her she is entitle to all that junk and more.

How dare her boyfriend ask her to come to the ER!!!! What kind of B.S. is that:rolleyes:
I think I am entitled to what was ALREADY given to me, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">