• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Depo's & Court judgements Public records after trial ????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spike1951

What is the name of your state? Florida

After a trial is concluded, is the Courts decision public records. Could you send it to a local newpaper for a story without fear of lawsuit?

Is a deposition taken as part of discovery for trial, also public records after the trial decision by the judge. Could it be sent to a newspaper or other third party withoug fear of lawsuit?

PLEASE NEED ANSWERS

Thanks,

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

spike1951 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

After a trial is concluded, is the Courts decision public records. Could you send it to a local newpaper for a story without fear of lawsuit?

Is a deposition taken as part of discovery for trial, also public records after the trial decision by the judge. Could it be sent to a newspaper or other third party withoug fear of lawsuit?

PLEASE NEED ANSWERS

Thanks,

My response:

The court file and records within, even during litigation, are "public record." You don't have to wait for litigation to conclude.

Sure, if there's a potential "story", court records are oftentimes referred to for information - - including deposition transcripts.

You can't be sued by submitting court records or depo transcripts because they are in the "public record" e.g., the newspaper reporter could, theoretically, go to the courthouse and pull the court file and write a story for the newspapers. It happens all the time.

IAAL

S

spike1951

THANKS

With Florida's sunshine law, that's what I figured. Just as I can go in and sit in on any trial and just listen. Thanks for the answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">