• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deposit/Trespasing Dilemma!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brokenhearted2

What is the name of your state?New Mexico
I was staying with my step-mother in New Mexico, she said she would pay for the deposits for my apartment and utilities start up. When I was moving out, she had gone on a trip, I had re-entered her apartment, because I still had the key as I had to return the bed she gave me. Now she is saying I tresspassed but she had given me the key. I gave her the key when she came back from her trip. Also, I drove her car to get to the store, which she said was ok, I had accidently backed up into a wall. At the time she said it was ok, don't worry.
Now...that I am moving out, she is demanding the deposits back, that she was a gift, she is now saying I trespassed and says she wants money for the dent in her car. She is taking me to court. I never signed anything that said the deposits were a loan.
Can she do this? I am moving to California, and the relationship has gone sour, and I believe she is doing this in retaliation.
Can ANYONE Give Me Advice???? :eek:

Thanks!

Last edited:

djohnson

The best advice I can give you is to grow up. You owe her this money and you know it. Why should she have to pay for your mistakes. She agreed to help you with the deposits, you obviously didn't hold up to your end of the bargain (verbal agreements are fine, nothing in writing needed) and she is out her deposit money. This was not your money, why would you think you could keep it? Why are the type person that would? Why if you damaged her car would you think you aren't responsible for that also? Why should she have to keep paying for all your mistakes? I can see why the relationship has gone sour. It's all one sided. You need to grow up and start depending on yourself. If she takes it to court, she will likely win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">