• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deposit for a vehicle not purchased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caorn

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island
A friend wanted to sell their camper. It had not been advertised in the paper, but I had expressed and interest in it. I gave them a $250 deposit ( a check ) and told them we would see how much money we recieved from income tax and buy it in the spring. In the meantime I did some research and found that my truck would not pull it. I gave them four months notice that I would not be purchasing the camper. I have asked for my deposit back. If I had been dealing with a dealership they would have given me my money back. Shouldn't they have to give that deposit back? Do I have a small claims case?

JETX

caorn said:
I gave them a $250 deposit ( a check ) and told them we would see how much money we recieved from income tax and buy it in the spring.
When you gave them the deposit, they held the vehicle for you... and presumably lost other sales. Your deposit is used to assure your intent (contract) to complete the purchase. You breached the contract (to purchase) and therefore, unless your agreement has something to the contrary, you lose your deposit.

In the meantime I did some research and found that my truck would not pull it.
You should have done that research BEFORE you entered into the agreement to purchase.

If I had been dealing with a dealership they would have given me my money back.
Wanna' bet??? :D

Shouldn't they have to give that deposit back?
Shoudn't they?? Yes. Do they have a legal obligation to?? No.

Do I have a small claims case?
No.

tijerin

I don't know about Rhode Island but in California ALL vehicle deposits (given to dealerships) are refundable by law, EVEN if the dealership writes "non-refundable" on the deposit receipt.

I would check your local laws just in case there's something like that that would apply to you.

In a private party transactions, I have no idea how it would pertain (even in California) but essentially agree with JetX that you breached the contract by not purchasing the vehicle, thus forfeiting your deposit.

JETX

tijerin said:
I don't know about Rhode Island but in California
Who cares??? The writer is in Rhode Island.... and California laws have NO relevance.

ALL vehicle deposits (given to dealerships) are refundable by law, EVEN if the dealership writes "non-refundable" on the deposit receipt.
Who cares?? This is NOT a dealership.... nor is it a vehicle.

:D :eek:

tijerin

I was just saying that maybe the person should do some research into whether deposits can be refundable or not in their own state seeing as at least one other state doesn't allow non-refundable deposits.

Oh, and a camper is a vehicle. If it needs a license plate, it's governed by motor vehicle laws (5th wheels, campers, trailers, etc.).. at least in Rhode Island.

"What type of vehicle can be renewed online?
Passenger vehicles
Passenger vanity
Farm vehicles
Trailer & non commercial trailers
Antiques
Motorcycle
Motorcycle with vanity
Purple Heart
Commercial
Commercial trailers
Combination
Camper"

https://www.ri.gov/reg/dmv_help.html

Just trying to be helpful, no need for an attack. If you have more relevant knowledge of Rhode Island laws in regards to deposits on "campers", feel free to enlighten OP.

Last edited:

JETX

tijerin said:
Oh, and a camper is a vehicle. If it needs a license plate, it's governed by motor vehicle laws (5th wheels, campers, trailers, etc.).. at least in Rhode Island.
I think you are confusing a camper (that fits inside a pickup truck bed) with a camper TRAILER!! The trailer is a vehicle. The camper is not.
An example can be found at: http://www.alaskancamper.com/

tijerin

JETX said:
I think you are confusing a camper (that fits inside a pickup truck bed) with a camper TRAILER!! The trailer is a vehicle. The camper is not.
An example can be found at: http://www.alaskancamper.com/
I don't think I'm confusing it at all because:

1) the Rhode Island DMV specifically says "camper" and,
2) the OP posted that he didn't purchase said "camper" because he figured out his "truck would not PULL it".

If he were talking about a camper that fit inside his pickup truck bed, he would have no need to PULL it (and it probably wouldn't be considered a vehicle, more like an accessory to his truck) :D

F

Fat Tony

I think somebody proved Jet wrong and he is trying to make up excuses to go with his smartass attitude. Just admit it Jet, you were wrong. It happens to the best of us.

F

Fat Tony

Damn, 3 days and still no response Jet? Must be out bullying someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">