• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Desperately seeking advice: Loaned ex $, now he's unreachable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IntuitivelyBlue

What is the name of your state? NY

My grandmother loaned my ex-boyfriend $4,000+ to pay off his college tuition for one semester. It was agreed after we broke up that whenever he had the money he would pay me on a monthly basis. Eventually, he got a job and started paying me $100 a month as that was all he had leftover. The terms were that he keep in contact with me so that we would both be updated on any changes in our lives that would affect the loan repayment. Well, his last payment was in March and it is now August. He has failed to contact me and even though I repeatedly call his house, he is never home and his family don't seem to be relaying my messages, nor do they seem to want to remain on the phone with me for more than a nano second. I feel since he has broken the terms, he is far too irresponsible to be in control of this situation and because he is unemancipated from his parents, his parents should foot the loan repayment. I cannot trust these people to make small monthly payments as they have proven unreliable in the past so I am seeking the payment in full. Does anyone have any advice for me as to what I should do? Is it worth seeking a lawyer for this matter? How much would a lawyer charge? Is it wise to ask for the loan in its entirety from his parents? I desperately need someone's advice as this has been dragging on for quite some time and my grandmother was put into debt after the loan and she is struggling with her finances now.

seniorjudge

If your sweetie is unreachable, then you cannot get a judgment against him (since he is the one responsible for the debt). If you do find him, then sue him and get a judgment against him and hound him till you get your money.

Otherwise, you will just have to chalk this up to experience.

IntuitivelyBlue

What about his parents?

seniorjudge said:
If your sweetie is unreachable, then you cannot get a judgment against him (since he is the one responsible for the debt). If you do find him, then sue him and get a judgment against him and hound him till you get your money.

Otherwise, you will just have to chalk this up to experience.

Do you think it would be unwise to hold his parents responsible even though he still relies on them for food and shelter?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">