• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Destroying someone else's Drivers License.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

saratina25

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask this question, but....
In a moment of emotion, I cut up someone else's drivers license. Being that it is a legal document so to speak.. someones ID. I was wondering if I can get into any trouble for this. Just checking my bases. I appreciate your time and any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

saratina25 said:
I wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask this question, but....
In a moment of emotion, I cut up someone else's drivers license. Being that it is a legal document so to speak.. someones ID. I was wondering if I can get into any trouble for this. Just checking my bases. I appreciate your time and any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
My response:

All you owe is the money that it takes to get a duplicate license. This includes the time and effort to apply for the same, also.

While the DMV will charge for a duplicate, it's not fair that you shouldn't pay for the persons time it takes to apply for and obtain a duplicate. But for you destroying the license, would this person have needed to expend the time and effort to obtain a duplicate? That's the question.

Therefore, your obligation is to pay the cost of replacement: About $10.00

And to pay for time and effort:

About $50.00.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">