• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Destruction of property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

withthelaw09

I reside in Missouri -

A co-worker drove my vehicle for me because I didn't feel comfortable driving. I had a few drinks and felt better having someone else drive the car. This individual redlined the motor on my car and dropped the clutch like he was racing and ended up causing $1200 worth of damage to the car. This person said they would pay but never did. Is there anything I can do? This person knows how to drive a stick as well so he know what he was doing. This set me back a bit financially as you can imagine.

Thanks

dolebot

If you feel you can prove that the damage was caused by that person - it doesn't cost a whole lot to file a claim in small claims court. You probably don't even need a lawyer and the process is usually designed to allow lay people to get through it. Of course its always advisable to hire an attorney, but for that amount you'll end up paying twice that just to retain one.

Antigone*

If you feel you can prove that the damage was caused by that person - it doesn't cost a whole lot to file a claim in small claims court. You probably don't even need a lawyer and the process is usually designed to allow lay people to get through it. Of course its always advisable to hire an attorney, but for that amount you'll end up paying twice that just to retain one.
It is not ALWAYS adivsable to hire an attorney. Sue the guy in small claims court.

You will need to present your damages (bring receipts).

Small Claims Forms

tranquility

This is a far more complex set of issues then it seems at first glance. A lot more facts would be needed. Was there a bailment? Was he your agent? Did he act negligently? All are difficult questions which change the outcome. You could try small claims, but may not get a lot of joy. An attorney will cost too much to sue appropriately. Without all the specific facts it is hard to even hazard a guess.

HomeGuru

I reside in Missouri -

A co-worker drove my vehicle for me because I didn't feel comfortable driving. I had a few drinks and felt better having someone else drive the car. This individual redlined the motor on my car and dropped the clutch like he was racing and ended up causing $1200 worth of damage to the car. This person said they would pay but never did. Is there anything I can do? This person knows how to drive a stick as well so he know what he was doing. This set me back a bit financially as you can imagine.

Thanks
**A: this is an example of why you should not drink. Consider this an expensive lesson learned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">