• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

determining 'place of cause of action' Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kssage

I am in Florida...
Someone is trying to sue me for a fee for a class that she canceled at the last minute... there is a question of where the suit can be filed.
She is claiming she can file it in her county (miami) because that is where she lives and where she was when she agreed to take the class, and where she was when she wrote the check...

but the class was held in Marion county, i live in marion county, my businesses sole office is in Marion county and she mailed the check to marion county and it was deposited in marion county.

I have never been to Miami county and the only thing I ever sent to her were emails. I know i can file to change the venue but I am trying to understand the law

BOR

I am in Florida...
Someone is trying to sue me for a fee for a class that she canceled at the last minute... there is a question of where the suit can be filed.
She is claiming she can file it in her county (miami) because that is where she lives and where she was when she agreed to take the class, and where she was when she wrote the check...

but the class was held in Marion county, i live in marion county, my businesses sole office is in Marion county and she mailed the check to marion county and it was deposited in marion county.

I have never been to Miami county and the only thing I ever sent to her were emails. I know i can file to change the venue but I am trying to understand the law

CIVIL PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE Chapter 47
VENUE

47.011 Where actions may be begun.

—Actions shall be brought only in the county where the defendant resides, where the cause of action accrued, or where the property in litigation is located. This section shall not apply to actions against nonresidents.

If she is basing her County as where the COA accrued, I don't see how?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">