• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did not turn up to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iherebob

I am in New York and I received a letter from court yesterday stating that I owed money and did not pay the debt. The debt was paid through an agent.

The court letter stated that I must show up in court on June, which is already passed the date, but I only received the letter yesterday.

Please give me advice on what I should do and I would like to know if there are any consequences as I did not turn up in court because the letter was received late. There are no evidence that I can use to support when the letter was received.

Thank you in advance.

justalayman

If you did not show up in court, there is likely a default judgment against you. The first thing you need to do is contact the court and find the disposition of the case. If there is a judgment, you will have to file to have the judgment set aside due to defective service. The problem, from what I understand is service in New York is so loose that just about anything is accepted as proper.

so, check on the status of the case and then go from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">