• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Didn't receive papers from Breeder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamamia_027

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

We purchased a German Shorthaired Pointer puppy in May and received a bill of sale from the Breeder stating that the puppy was AKC registered and would receive the papers. According to the breeder, the father of the puppy had reached the limit of litters he sired before they would need a DNA test...that's why the papers weren't ready.

I tried to email him back in July, and he said he would check on the status. I got tired of waiting on him, so last thursday I called the AKC myself to see what was going on. He had given me the registration numbers for both the mother and father dogs. He owns both dogs. I gave them the numbers and apparently the father dog is registered to them, but the mother dog is not. They did tell me that the entire litter is NOT registered, and they had to resolve an issue with him that was ongoing since 2009 before they could even register them. They also said that there was no need for a DNA test for the father dog. I kept trying to call the breeder and it goes to voicemail. He finally left a message for me, that said he would check the mail to see if the papers were in there...but after knowing what I know, I doubt it. We never would have spent $800 on a puppy without papers. Should I take him to small claims court and try to recoup my money? Would I have to give back my dog to get my money back, or is is possible to get most of my money back and pay a "fair" price for an unpapered dog.

I have the bill of sale stating that he would get the papers to me, I also have an ad that he posted online stating that the litter is AKC registered (they are NOT) and copies of the pedigrees of both parents. Do I have a case?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

Should I take him to small claims court and try to recoup my money?
it seems to be about the only chance you have

Would I have to give back my dog to get my money back, or is is possible to get most of my money back and pay a "fair" price for an unpapered dog.
if you get your money back, he gets the dog back. If you can come to some agreement to purchase the dog without papers is something you and the seller would have to agree on. If that is an acceptable option for you, you might approach them and make that offer. If you cannot come to an agreement, then you know you will simply have to sue for the rescission of the sale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">