• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In dire need of advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ProtocalsGirl

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I was living with a roommate for 6 months, we never signed a lease, the landlord served us with eviction papers, I showed up in court and made payment arragements my roommate failed to show their lawyer said he was filing a default judgement against her, Am I going to get stuck with the total bill? They tried to serve her through the mail after we moved, I only know that because our mail was being held at the post office and they wanted me to sign for her certified letter, which I refused to do. How will they get her to pay her half of the rent due? Will I have to sue her for the other half since I agreed to a payment plan? Thank you for your help

JETX

ProtocalsGirl said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri
I was living with a roommate for 6 months, we never signed a lease, the landlord served us with eviction papers, I showed up in court and made payment arragements my roommate failed to show their lawyer said he was filing a default judgement against her, Am I going to get stuck with the total bill? They tried to serve her through the mail after we moved, I only know that because our mail was being held at the post office and they wanted me to sign for her certified letter, which I refused to do. How will they get her to pay her half of the rent due? Will I have to sue her for the other half since I agreed to a payment plan? Thank you for your help
Did you get a WRITTEN release from the plaintiff when you "made payment arrangements"?? If not, get one. That release will protect you from any further claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">