• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dirtbike theft and compensation for repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Isotope

What is the name of your state? Texas
On the night of July 13, 2005, a trailor with two dirtbikes and a four-wheeler were stolen from in front of my house. I loaded them on the trailor the previous evening so that they would be ready to go early the next morning. The trailor was locked with a hitch-lock device. On Friday, July 29, the police recovered the 2 motorcycles thanks to an informant who responded to the $1,000.00 reward that I posted. It was discovered that the items were geographically seperated, and neither the trailor or four-wheeler have yet been recovered. The two individuals who were in possession of the motorcycles knew they were stolen, and did well over $2,000.00 worth of damage to them while the bikes were in their possession.
My question is this: Can I sue the individuals in small-claims court for the repair and/or replacement of the motorcycles even though they weren't the ones who actually stole them, but yet KNEW they were stolen prior to their taking possession and destruction of them?

JETX

Isotope said:
Can I sue the individuals in small-claims court for the repair and/or replacement of the motorcycles even though they weren't the ones who actually stole them, but yet KNEW they were stolen prior to their taking possession and destruction of them?
Yep. You can sue anyone you want. It will then be up to the court to hear your evidence PROVING that the named individuals were liable for the damage that they caused.... and that they KNEW the bikes were not theirs at the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">