• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dirty Car Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rgilliam82

Oregon I paid $1000.00 for a car illegally in which there was 2 registered owners and only 1 had knowledge of the transaction and the second didn't agree at all. Also the car was repossessed shortly after the transaction

eerelations

Not for small claims court. However if you're uncomfortable doing this on your own, you are free to retain the services of a lawyer. Your choice, again, depending on your comfort level. Please keep in mind that the cost of a lawyer will probably be higher than the amount you paid for the car.

justalayman

Not sure what your intentions are. If you purchased the car from only the one party knowing they did not have the authority to convey full clear title you may simply be out your money. Dirty hands

Rgilliam82

OK I didn't know there were 2 owners until after I found the registration not the title in the glove box. He was financing it and it was in the process of being reposessed from him when he sold it to me

justalayman

Then your statement that you purchased a car illegally would not be correct.

First rule; never hand over money unless they are handing you a title that is actuslly in their name and all names title holders have properly signed the title as required.

If the seller is refusing to refund your money, small claims is probably your best bet.

Of course winning doesn't mean he will pay. It means the court said he owes you. You still have to collect on the judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">