• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disagree with small claims judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crayzeechick

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Arizona

My husband and I own a small architectural firm. After several attempts to collect money owed to us from a former client, we decided to file small claims. In court, the defendant said we had not done any work for him. We, however, had more than enough proof that we had performed the work and that the defendant was under a contract with us. We even presented a written timeline of events that ocurred between us and this client. The defendant did not even dispute this timeline which very clearly states that he was under contract. Furthermore, the defendant had absolutely no proof that he did not owe this money. The judge looked at the evidence and told the defendant that he was under contract and posed the question "Why shouldn't you pay?" The case looked very favorable to us.

The judge told us a formal judgement would be mailed to us within 10 days. We received that judgement today and it says judgement is granted to the defendant and "dismissed without prejudice" (whatever that means). I don't understand how this could be when we had all that proof to back up what we were saying. We turned to the justice system and they let us down. So in the future, if we can't get a client to pay us, are we just supposed to accept that? We are too small of a business to be losing money like that. So my question is can this judgement be disputed or is there another avenue we should pursue if we ever find ourselves in this position again?

Thanks.

crayzeechick

The court says we can't appeal a small claims judgement, but we can file a Motion to Vacate judgement. What does that mean?

crayzeechick

I filed a Motion to Vacate and just got the judgement back today. It was denied. Why would they deny it and is there anything else I can do? Also, if I find myself in the position of having a non-paying client again, what is a different avenue I should take to collect, since the "justice" system doesn't help?

S

seniorjudge

crayzeechick said:
I filed a Motion to Vacate and just got the judgement back today. It was denied. Why would they deny it and is there anything else I can do? Also, if I find myself in the position of having a non-paying client again, what is a different avenue I should take to collect, since the "justice" system doesn't help?
There's nothing else you can do. You lost.

S

seniorjudge

crayzeechick said:
What should I do if another client doesn't want to pay? Is a collection agency a better way to go?
Collection agencies would be a good way to go on future clients.

You can't do anything to this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">