• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discarding left behind houseguest items...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanc81

As I had thought, Ohiogal was wrong. This has been confirmed by a lawyer in person. It's scary to think that this site allows incompetent lawyers like her and "Potty Mouth" to give incorrect and ridiculous answers to people. The stuff is in the trash, legally. I do think that this is a nice looking site, however this post will be my last do to gross incompetence on the part of Ohiogal and unprofessional conduct by "Potty Mouth." Tootles!

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (California)?
Hi, I have no clue if this is the right section of the site for my problem, sorry this is my first time here.

Basically, the situation is that there's about approximately $20 worth of miscellaneous items left behind in my apartment by a guest that I let stay here for one week, about a month ago. I'd like to throw the stuff away, after numerous attempts to contact her via text/calling to find out when she can come pick her stuff up. It's a rolling piece of luggage, with a shirt and hat inside. A book, calendar, Starbucks cup, tumbler and a box of business cards.

My apartment is small and it's taking up an entire corner.

Here's the specifics of how this came to be. I've lived in this building for about 18 months. Approximately 45 days ago as I was exiting the building to go grocery shopping, an acquaintance tenant of this building came up to me and in fact had told me that she had been evicted and was renting a temporary room, but was being taken advantage of financially and needed to get out of there quickly. She had two jobs and it would be a matter of a week or two maximum. This girl, had seemed to be pleasant and normal enough so I let her stay with me for a week. The awkwardness began. Over the course of time that I lived in this building, she'd always initiate some small talk, flirting with me and complimenting something about my appearance, which I always found to be uncomfortable, because I'm modest/shy and she's not my type anyway. I made it clear that when she came to stay that, I wasn't attracted to her, and that I was near to getting back together with my ex-gf. I wanted no money, and nothing other than to help a person for a week or two by letting her crash at my place. End of. Within two days there was a mess all over the floor, she had put this powdered bug repellant everywhere and it was dusting up onto my bedding. The building was experiencing a bug problem, this wasn't just unique to my apartment. She left food residue in the microwave, and told me that her last two boyfriends sought legal help to stop her from harassing them. She would come over, sit on my bed and rub my leg and neck. I would get up and make an excuse about running to the store, just to get away.

So, I had enough and had her leave after a week. She stayed with a friend in Hollywood that turned out to be a perverted weirdo that kept hitting on her, so she left there after a couple of weeks and then found a friend elsewhere in L.A. to live with temporarily. Which brings this situation up to date as it is now.

I just want this stuff out. May I throw it away?

Thank you.

Oh, I forgot to add that I have a video and pictures taken of this collection of items that she left here. I'm not sure how to include those in this text box area.
No you may not throw it away. Write her a letter stating that you will keep the items for another 60 days and within that time she must let you know where to send them.

ryanc81

No you may not throw it away. Write her a letter stating that you will keep the items for another 60 days and within that time she must let you know where to send them.
Lmao. That's not the law, even in California. Hopefully someone intelligent will respond.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Lmao. That's not the law, even in California. Hopefully someone intelligent will respond.
If you know the law in California, then why are you here?

Too bad you decided to be a jerk to a respected attorney.

ryanc81

If you know the law in California, then why are you here?

Too bad you decided to be a jerk to a respected attorney.
You're a jerk, not me. Grow up. A respectable attorney does not give incorrect answers. The guest was here 7 days not 12. ,The guest doesn't have squatters or lodgers rights. I googled that before I even posted here. Now enjoy being a jerk, jerk.

This site is getting reported, I didn't register for incorrect answers and name calling.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're a jerk, not me. Grow up. A respectable attorney does not give incorrect answers. The guest was here 7 days not 12. ,The guest doesn't have squatters or lodgers rights. I googled that before I even posted here. Now enjoy being a jerk, jerk.

This site is getting reported, I didn't register for incorrect answers and name calling.
I'm sure the internet monitors will be in touch with the site admin.

(Thanks for a chuckle in the morning.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">