• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dismissed judgement that shows on credit.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PoDuck

I was taken to court in june for a past due bill. I spoke to the attorney for the plaintiff and arranged a settlement. When the settlement was arranged, I immediately sent payment and was told that I wouldn't have to show up in court and they would dismiss it.

Well, I didn't show up in court, and they got default judgement on me anyway. I immediately called the attorney and had them reverse the judgement. I followed up with the court and on July 23 they show that the judgement was reversed. So far, so good.

Now, I got a copy of my credit report and it shows a judgement for the full amount against me. I called the attorney again and tried to find out why it is still on there. The attorney then told me that my check came in after the judgement was entered so the settlement was void, and I still owe them $308.

I don't know what recourse I have about this.

Should I try some legal action, or keep a copy of the dismissal and wait for them to take me to court again for the $308? Also, I can show the credit bureau that the judgement was dismissed and take care of that, but should I leave it at that or should I hire an attorney and attempt a lawsuit against this attorney?

JETX

Handle one case at a time. Go to the court and get a copy of the dismissal papers. Send them to the credit bureau and get the report corrected.

Handle any other problems as they arise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">