• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute with roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alyze618

What is the name of your state? illinois
my roommate and i had an apartment in arizona. when we were moving out, management told us that they didn't do separate checks to refund the security deposit. if the check had both of our names, it would be impossible for me to cash the check without her and vice versa now that i am in a different state. we both agreed that the check would be put in her name and she would send me my half. it's been three months and not a word from her. she doesn't answer my calls or return my messages. how can i resolve this now that we live in different states?

BL

To file a small claims against the X room mate would probably not be worth it financially,unless you could w/o much cost go to her Jurisdiction and file.

Filing does not cost much.It would be the other expenses that may not be worth it,depending on the amount you are seeking.

You would have to prove the management/landlord would only refund one check w/ both names and the agreement you had with your X room mate.

They might simply say ,they did pay you !!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">