• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disputed property reported stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taladay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My father filed a claim over a breach of contract involving the communal property of a club he's in. Basically, two officers of the club have been selling this property without the general members knowledge and keeping the money. He served them with small claims papers two weeks ago and now suddenly the remaining items are reported stolen from an unlocked room at the meeting hall. For 10 years these things have been kept in a locked room off site because they are collectively worth $1,700. Not only is this really suspicious but they named my dad as the most likely thief. The sheriff isn't even investigating Dad because it's pretty obvious bunk. Can we still hold them liable for this property in small claims court? Should we try to make this a criminal case? All the club really wants is it's property back. We appreciate any advice we can get!

Edit: I should add that the property was in the defendants' care at the time it was 'stolen', not a third party.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">